Chapter Sixteen - Birthday Party

"So how come Jacob Black is allowed to give you a gift and I'm not

"So how come Jacob Black is allowed to give you a gift and I'm not." Edward asked holding my hand

"I have nothing to give back to you. That and I wasn't expecting one from him."

"You give me everything just by breathing."

"Thank you." I grin.

"Jackie, Bella!" I heard Alice and stopped "Happy Birthday!" Bella shhed her as I giggled leaning into Edward.

"I thought I said no presents." Bella said and my hand was lifted up.

"Well, I've already seen you opened them and guys what you love it. You're gonna wear it tonight at our place."

"Okay." I chimed tucking the box under my arm

"Come on Bella please."

"Yeah come on Bells. Pretty please with a cherry on top." I pout.

"Okay." I fist pump.

"Jasper, no fair with the emotion control." Bella berated her boyfriend

"Sorry, Bella."

-----

"Remind me why I'm in this class again. What's over there has no effect." Edward chuckles

"There are worse tragedies. Like Romeo, killed his love out of sheer stupidity."

"Yeah, I think William Shakespeare is mildly disturbed." I lightly tap the table

"I do envy him one thing."

"What Juliet being flawlessly perfect?"

"No, not the girl, the suicide."

"What?" I looked at him

"It's nearly impossible for some..people. For humans, a little poison, a dagger to the heart. There's so many different options."

"Why would you say something like that?"

"Because I had to consider it once. I didn't know if I would get to you in time, I had to come up with some sort of plan."

"What plan?"

"That'd I'd go to Italy and provoke the Volturi."

"The what?"

"The Volturi." The video stopped and Mr Berty asked Edward to repeat the last few lines cause he thought he wasn't paying attention. He wasn't but he still knew what was said. I covered my mouth so I wouldn't say anything or laugh.

"Eyes on the screen people." it continued playing.

"I don't know whether to be in awh or burst out laughing." I cleared my throat.

"I'm glad I amuse you"

----

Back at the Cullen's I had changed into the nice dress that Alice gave me. Edward and Jasper were explaining who the Volturi were

"The Volturi are a very old and very powerful family. I guess they're the closest thing to royalty our would has." Edward began

"Is that Carlisle?" Bella asked

"Yeah, he lived with the for a few decades." Jasper informed us "He described them as very refined. No respect for human life of course, but respect for the arts and the sciences at least. And the law, above all the law."

"Vampires have laws?" I wonder

"No very many. Only one that regularly enforced." my boyfriend continued

"What's that?"

"We keep the existence of our kind secret. We don't make spectacles of ourselves, and we don't kill conspicuously. Unless of course you want to die."

"You got to stop talking about that." I shake my head

"I can't even think of someone hurting you. If they did, then they'd have me to answer to."

"Jackie, the only thing that can hurt me is you. And I don't have anything else to be afraid of."

"Well that's not true."

"Victoria? She'll come for me one day. Alice will see when she decides and we'll be ready." I turn fully to him

"I could protect you. If you'd change me." he slipped his arms around my waist.

"You already protect me. You're my only reason, to stay alive, if that's what I am. And it's my job to protect you, from everyone except my sister. The door opened behind me.

"It's time. It's time, it's time." She grabbed on hand while Edward took Cleo. We stopped and Bella gave a airy smile. I was taken downstairs.

"Alice, careful, blind and wearing heels."

"Sorry." She slowed down

"Sorry about all this. We tried to rein Alice as much as possible." Carlisle joked.

"It's okay. It's welcomed but also lost." I hugged him

"If that was even possible. Happy birthday." I then hugged Esme as I heard a camera.

"Sorry I found it in your bag. You mind." I shook my head

"Dating a older women. Hot." I heard Emmett. I started laughing.

"Seriously Em."

"What."