Jumping from rooftops

*Tom*
We pull up outside her apartment building. I look at her. She truly is beautiful. "So this is your stop my dear".

"Yeah". She looks down at her hands. "I was thinking.. maybe you want to come up, for a cup of tea or something".

I smile at her, feeling at warmth spread in my belly. "I would love to darling.. honestly I like talking with you".

"I like talking with you too". She say smiling softly. I turn of her car, and hurry around to open the door for her. And we make our way to her apartment.

I am looking around, while she is making tea. Smiling to myself when I spot quirky little things. "I love this place darling, very cosy and very you".

"Thank you Tom". She say, coming into the room with two cups, but instead of heading for the couch, she heads for the window. "Could you just open it for me ?"

I open the window, it is a big window with a low window sill. She steps over it and out onto the fire escape. "Come follow me, I want to show you something".

Following her out on the fire escape, she balances up the ladder with a cup of tea in each hand. "Darling let me take at least one of the cups".

"It's okay Tom, I have done this a million times". She say, disappearing onto the roof. I quickly follow her and find myself in a lush rooftop garden.

I just stand there, looking around with my mouth slightly open. Oh I hadn't expected this. "Wow Avery, this is utterly amazing".

"Then try and come over here". She calls and I follow her voice to where she is standing by the edge, the cups resting on the low wall in front of her.

I walk over to stand beside her, the plants are kind of making a cave around us, open at the top to show the stars, as we look out over the city and it's lights. "It's breathtaking.. you are breathtaking".

*Avery*
"You just always have the right words ready, don't you Tom ?" I say and with one look in his eyes, I tell myself. 'This is going to hurt so badly when it's over'.

He takes my hand in his, sending me a small genuine smile. "I hope you know that I am sincere. I am not trying to lure you in any way".

"I know Tom". And I do, for some reason I know that there is nothing fake and no hidden agenda with him, he is an open book.

We stand for a bit in silence, here on my roof as the illuminated night sky encircle us and make me feel tiny. Sipping our tea. There is no need for talking. Tom's free hand taking mine.

We look at each other after putting the cups down and he smiles softly, but as we lean in to kiss, he suddenly stop right as our lips are about to meet.

"I'm afraid". He say softly.

I look at him, asking. "Of what ? First kisses are not scary, trust me". I reach out to stroke my fingers softly over his cheek.

"No no, it's not that". He answers. "I'm afraid of falling".

"You're not going to fall, silly". I assure him. "It's not like the wall is suddenly going to disappear".

"Yes I will.. if we kiss, I'm a goner. I can't help falling in love with you. I am sure of it". He say and I can read the lines of sadness and heartbreak in his eyes.

We just stand there, our eyes locked together, my fingers resting on his cheek. The air seems to be cracking slightly with electricity, making the small hair on my arms stand up. He breathes out his lips parting and his pink tongue slip out to wet them.

Warmth blossom in my chest, sparks igniting as Tom leans in close, lips brushing together, tentatively, for the first time. The smell of his perfume, and of the soft flowery scent from around us, is dizzying, butterflies dancing in my stomach.  But warmth consumes me as I lean into the kiss, Tom's lips impossibly soft against my own.

His lips taste slightly of peppermint from the tea. They feel silken and pillowy against my own. I can feel the warm tickle of his breath beneath my nose, fingers carding through my hair as we breath each other in.

I moan softly as his tongue presses between my parted lips in ticklish kitten licks, our bodies now pressed together heatedly against the wall, breathing heavily as our lips stay sealed together.  I can taste our shared breath, feel the thud of our combined heartbeats as we forget time and place, getting lost in one another.

When our lips finally part, we still stand there, so close together that he feels more like an extension of me than another person. His forehead resting against mine and his eyes closed as our breath mingle and my heartbeat tries to return to normal.

"So ?" I say softly. "Did you fall then ?"

His eyes slowly opening, they are looking like rare shimmering stones up this close. "I think.. I think I jumped".

"Maybe..". I swallow hard, knowing my cheeks are flushed. "Maybe you don't need to go back to Zac's place.. maybe you could stay her.. if you want to".

"Are you sure darling ? Don't feel you have to do anything". He gently pushes a lock of hair behind my ear. "But maybe we could just sleep.. I would love to sleep with you in my arms".

I can't help smiling. "Oh so Zac is right, you do like to spoon people".

"I do, can't really deny that". He says with a warm smile, that then turn cheeky. "But I do prefer a beautiful lady to Zac".

"Oh I really do hope so". I say giggling.

We crawl back down to my apartment and I go get ready for bed. Deciding to wear my grey lace trim romper, not to get to warm. "Your turn".

"Thank you, and may I say you look adorable". Tom answers, kissing me swiftly, before disappearing into my bathroom.

I snuggle down under the blankets and five minutes later Tom is back. His jeans folded in his hand. He lay them on a chair. "Darling is it okay for you if I take of my T-shirt ? I tend to get a bit hot at night ?"

"Yeah sure no problem". I say, watching him pull it of, folding it and placing it on top of his pants. Thinking that it is not only at night he is hot.

He slides down beside me and kisses me softly. "Goodnight darling".

"Night Tom". I say and reach up to turn of the light.

"Turn around". He whispers softly and I turn my back to him. Sighing contently, as I am pulled against his warm and very firm body. His lips gracing my neck. This is not a bad way to sleep, not at all.