Heroes and villains

Warning for domestic violence like scene at the end of the chapter.

1 week later
*Zaina*
"Oh that was a big one". I say, snuggling closer to Zac on the couch. There is a big thunderstorm outside and honestly, I feel much safer in his arms.

He wind his arms closer around me. I am happy I have such a big couch, because it means that I can snuggle with Zac when we watch a movie. "It was. Don't worry baby, I am here to protect you".

"And I feel so safe with you, you are my handsome and strong superhero". I say running my hand up under his shirt, caressing his stomach.

I can feel the muscles contract at my touch, his hand gently cupping my face. "For you I'd be happy to be a superhero any day".

"Well the whole town thinks that you are a hero, after the mayor gave you the medal". People has started coming up to him on the street, telling him that he is a true hero, which always makes him a bit uncomfortable.

He rolls his eyes and I slap his stomach. "Ouch. But honestly it is a bit uncomfortable. But hey I got your mother to make sure I don't get to full of myself.. she always have a comment ready to pick me down".

"You ran into her again today ? I am so sorry. I actually thought that the mayor giving you a medal would help. I had expected her to have come around by now". I say softly. I hate that my mom treats him like that.

He takes a deep breath, shaking his head. "It certainly hasn't.. she told me I am a snake, a charlatan and a devil, luring in people, but that she sees right through me".

"I am so sorry Zac. I hope you said something back. She can't talk to you like that". I tell him, hating to see pain in his eyes.

He shakes his head. "I just told her that I am sorry that she feels that way. She is your mother, so I can't threat her in a less respectful manner".

"You are to good Zac, way to good". I simply can't understand why my mother can't see how wonderful a person he is.

He just smiles and reach out, taking the remote and switching to the weather channel. Outside the storm is getting worse. "Looks like it is all of Texas and they have had a couple of twisters up in Fort Worth".

"I just hope that we don't get any of those here". I say, hiding my face against Zac's chest. Tornadoes is one of the scariest things I could imagine.

"We don't seem to be in any danger of that, but the rain and thunder is going to be really bad". His fingers are trailing along my spine.

Just then there is a giant boom and everything goes black, making me scream out loud. Zac is shushing me gently. "It's just the power love, let's lit some candles".

*Avery*
I lay awake thinking about that girl he is kissing. Listening to the thunderstorm. I wonder if she looks like me. Not physically, I know she don't, but if there is some likeness or she is the total opposite from me; if she taste the same. I think about how passion has a taste. Nonchalance too. And love, love has a taste that is hard to describe. It is like being filled to the brim, it is like being ignorant of emptiness and hunger.

I lay awake and wondered if he is happy, as the sky outside is lighted up by electricity. I think that he must be bursting with it, or maybe he is just like me. Maybe he is trying to fill the space with her, maybe her being in his life will leave him emptier than before. Maybe he will remember me and regret the way we ended. Or maybe he is in love and I am the only one who can't move on. Maybe I am just projecting my own feelings onto him, maybe I was the whole time.

I lay awake and wishes he would call. I want to hear him speak, I long to hear the tone and texture of his voice, even if it was just to talk about the weather. You don't realise how much you can miss a person's voice until they've stopped talking. But he will never call, and I am too tired to sleep, so I lay awake and just wonder. I wonder how he is doing.

And then with a loud crash everything goes black as the power goes up. But I see no reason to go get candles or a flashlight. So I just stay in bed, listening to the rain, the thunder and the lightning. Wondering what Tom is doing right now.

*Tom*
I am staring at the tv screen, listening to the weather channel. Following every update online on my ipad. Feeling scared and lost, wishing I could help in some way.

Here in London the rain is just falling silently outside, the grey heavy sky reminding me of my mind. It is like the sun has been snuffed out.

"What are you doing Tom ? It is in the middle of the night. Come to bed". Madison is leaning against the door frame, wearing a skimpy almost see through nightgown and a lace thong.

I shake my head, I just want her to leave me alone. "Go to bed, I'll come when I am done watching this".

"What is it you are watching ? The weather in Texas ? Seriously Tom, stop being so pathetic". She rolls her eyes at me. "Are you worried about her ? That little nothing".

"Stop talking badly about her Madison, you don't know her". I grab the glass of whiskey in front of me, emptying it. "It's not only her, I got friends in Texas".

She makes one of those faces that annoys me to no extent. "Friends that won't talk to you. Friends that has cut all contact with you because you dumped that freak.. wow good friends you have".

"Please don't start this again.. just let me be". I am so fucking scared and worried, about all of them, but mostly Avery, I don't know what I would do if something happened to her.

"I still don't get the appeal. I saw her picture. All those freckles, the red hair. God Tom can't you see you have much better here". She walks to stand in front of me. Problem is, Madison likes to push my buttons.. actually I think she kind of get of on it.

I wave for her to move. I need to keep an eye on this. To make sure there are no tornadoes near her. I have been close to calling her several times and Zac too, but I know that none of them would want to talk to me. "Madison, fuck off".

"Oh I love when you talk dirty Tom". She say getting that glint in her eyes, and I know she is going to start pushing me. "Your little redhead, did she talk sexy ? Did her daddy remember to teach her that part of pleasing a man ?"

I am on my feet, getting in her face. Never in my life have I wanted to hit a woman, not before I met Madison. It scares me how often I feel like hitting her. "I told you to fuck off. Leave me alone and stop, I don't want to hear it".

"Come on Tommy boy, he must have teached her some tricks.. show me". She is laughing in my face and I feel my hand shoot out and grab her around the neck, unable to stop myself.

It isn't like I am choking her, but I hold her hard enough that it is uncomfortable. "For God's sake, why can't you leave it be. You got what you wanted. You made me crush her heart. Haven't you gotten enough ?"

"You know what I want Tom and if you don't give me what I want, well someone might learn about you precious Avery's deep dark secrets".  She grins and I close my hand a little more, but it just makes her smile widen. "That's it Tom, come on, show me you are a real man".

I feel like screaming, like crying, like throwing up. I don't get that anyone can be this twisted, this evil. "Madison stop this, please don't do it".

"No, don't start begging Tom, that's not becoming of a man. You don't want me to crush her with the truth do you ?" No I don't, I can't let it happen. I will do anything to protect her from that.