Meeting dad and comforting Avery

*Zaina*
"Come on Zac, eat something". I look at him, as he pushes his breakfast around on the plate. He still seems upset and haven't really eaten anything.

He shakes his head and pushes the plate away. "Sorry love, I just don't really feel hungry".

"Zac forget about my mother". I wish I could just take away that pain. Suddenly the doorbell rings and I get up. "I better go open".

Walking to the door, I wonder who it can be. Opening it I almost gasp. "Dad, what are you doing here ? Please say mommy didn't send you with holy water ?"

"Well, she almost did". He says laughing, then giving me a hug. "No when your mother came home spewing nonsense I had to come over and see what all that was about.. so you have a boyfriend ?"

I nod, my father is a religious man, but he isn't judgemental like my mother and sometime I wonder why he is still married to her. "I do. His name is Zac and he is a good guy dad. He is sweet and caring. Actually he is a true hero, he saved the mayor's son under the earthquake".

"Old miss Gillies told me about that under the morning service.. well let me meet him then". He says, sending me a friendly smile and I hope Zac can take meeting more family today.

I walk into the kitchen, my father walking behind me. Zac gets up as he sees us. His eyes flickering to me and I send him a reassuring smile. "Zac this is my father Reverend Joseph Robinson. Dad, this is Zachary Pugh, my boyfriend".

"An honour meeting you sir.. or am I supposed to say reverend ?" Zac looks uncommonly nervous as he steps forward, offering my father his hand.

My father takes his hand, shaking it and sending him a friendly smile. "Well what about you just call me Joe, and I call you Zac ? Would that work ?"

"Sure sir.. I mean Joe". Zac says, looking a bit flustered and I go to stand beside him, holding his hand. "I am sorry about what happened, I mean with your wife.. I didn't mean to scare her".

My father starts laughing, and Zac sends me a look like he is unsure if my father is crazy. "Don't worry about that Zac. My poor wife is.. well she is having a hard time dealing with the real world sometimes".

"Dad be honest, mom is a judgemental bitch". I say, earning a bit of a harsh glance from my father.

"What about you go get your old father a cup of coffee ?" My father say, and I nod, going to the counter. He looks at Zac. "So I understand you are an actor, that must be interesting".

The next almost two hours I spend trying to follow my father and Zac's conversation, about religion, spirituality, self-worth, consumerism, capitalism and well the meaning of life I think. I am not stupid or anything, but I feel a little left behind here.

"It was such a pleasure meeting you Zac and I hope we can have another chat soon". My father say, shaking Zac's hand as he gets ready to leave. "Don't worry about my wife, she will come around at some point".

"Thank you Joe and the pleasure was all mine". Zac say smiling happily, making me smile too.

I walk my father to the door and I can't help looking at him, asking nervously. "Sooo.. what do you think daddy ?"

"Honestly ?" He asks and I nod. "I find him intelligent and articulate, he seems honest and he clearly loves you, so what more can a father ask for ? You found a good one there Zaina".

I smile and give him a hug. "I know daddy, but I am happy you feel the same. I just wish mommy would be more open minded".

"She will have a problem with him being divorced and with his job. But I am sure she will come around with time". He says and wave at me as he walks to the car.

I walk back into the kitchen, and Zac grabs me, twirling me around. "I totally love your father".

"And my father likes you too.. he told me I got a good one, but well I already knew that". I say smiling, and I see the happiness shine from his eyes and smile, before he kisses me lovingly.

He puts me down and take out his phone, looking confused. "Uhh Tom just send me a weird text 'I am sorry, but I had to leave. Please check on Avery. I am so sorry Tom'.. what the fuck has he done ?"

*Avery*
There is someone knocking at my door and for a moment I dare hope that Tom has changed his mind, but I know he hasn't. I roll out of bed and open the door to find Zaina and Zac outside. "What happened sweetie ? What did Tom do ?"

"He left.. he left and told me that what we had was nothing, that it never mattered to him". I feel my legs give in and I feel strong arms catch me.

Zac lifts me up, holding me close to him, as he carries me to the bed. "Shh sweetie, breathe". He puts me down and Zaina is instantly beside me holding me and telling me it will be okay.

I hear Zac grumble to himself as he is pacing the floor and Zaina keeps comforting me. Then Zac is yelling into his phone. "Oh be happy you didn't pick up Tom..you fucking excuse for a man. I trusted you and now I look like an idiot. Don't ever speak to me again".

"Zac, calm down. That won't help anyone". Zaina says softly, as she still strokes my hair.

Zac takes a deep breath, nodding before he continues in a calmer voice. "I never thought you to be that kind man Tom.. how could you do that to her ? I hope you feel really good about yourself, bye".

He comes over to sit on the edge of the bed. "I am truly sorry I set you up on that date. I never thought Tom would do something like this".

"Not your fault Zac, don't feel bad". I manage to say. I don't blame him, I know he trusted Tom.

'It's his loss'. They tell me. But to him, he didn't lose anything. He just wasn't interested anymore. But me, I felt like I lost my whole world. I lost every kiss we shared, every hand I'd ever held. I lost it all. But worst of all I have to walk around every day still loving him, still needing him. And hopefully someday, he'll realize that the worst thing in life was losing me, losing someone who loved him and would have given the world to him.