Caught in limbo

1 week later
*Tom*
"Are you ready darling ? The car is picking us up in 10 minutes". Madison comes into my bedroom, wearing tight designer jeans and an even tighter top showing of her voluptuous breasts. Her blonde hair is styled to perfection and the makeup flawless.

I am laying on my back, staring up at the ceiling, lost in my own thoughts. I sit up. "Yeah, I just need to put on my shoes".

"You don't seriously mean that you are going to wear that ?" Her eyes running over me, a look that can mostly be described as disgust on her face. "Everyone is looking at us".

Getting up from the bed I stretch. "It's a photo-shoot right ? They are going to dress us up at the studio aren't they ? So what do it matter what I wear now ?" I look down at my trustworthy worn out black jeans and the dark blue sweater.

"And I told you to shave.. you look borderline homeless Tom. You and me both know that there will be paps outside and at the studio. You are trying to humiliate me right ?" She throw out her hand theatrically.

I close my eyes for a moment, swallowing the words I really want to say. "There are paps waiting because you made sure they knew about this darling. I feel comfortable like this".

"But you look like an idiot and you make me look like a fool". She snaps. Then she mumble to herself as she walks out. "How on earth that man keeps getting voted best dressed is beyond me".

Making a face at her back, I let myself fall down on the bed. I don't even want this, doing a photoshoot together, showing the world how much we love each other. I want to throw up. I open my drawer taking out a necklace with an A in it. She had asked me to put it in my wallet when we went to the waterpark, so she wouldn't lose it, but I forgot to give it back to her. I clutch it to my heart. "I am sorry my love, so very sorry".

"Get your ass down here Tom, the car is here". Madison calls from downstair. I press the little A to my lips, before placing it back in the drawer and walking downstairs.

I put on my best smile, taking her hand in mine as we walk outside, knowing there will be paps. There almost always are these days. She makes sure there is. Me I just want to be left alone.. no scratch that, I just want to be in Avery's arms in her small flat in Texas, forgetting the world outside.

"Oh stop it". Madison says giggling, waving her hand. "Why is it so interesting, I mean it is just me and Tom walking to a car, to go to our photoshoot".

Yeah she plays the part well, very well. Me I just nod and smile, like a trained monkey or a soulless robot. These days I don't know which I am more like.

The chauffeur opens the door and Madison climb inside after a last wave. I crawl in beside her, letting myself fall back in the seat as the door closes. At least I get a little break, before I have to put on another round of charades.

"At least try to look like you are enjoying yourself Tom". She hisses at me, but I choose to ignore her, closing my eyes to the world.

We drive for a while in silence, then I feel her hand rub my thigh. "Why don't you just relax and enjoy this Tom. We could have a lot of fun if you wanted to".

"Madison take your hand of me, I don't like you touching me. And you and me we aren't going to have any kind of fun as you put it". I say without opening my eyes.

She huff annoyed. "Funnily before you went to Texas you didn't mind that part.. as I remember you called it a bonus. But then you ran into little miss inbreed farmgirl and suddenly no one else is good enough".

"Do not call her that.. don't mention her at all. You are not worthy to even think of her". I hiss at her, feeling the anger run through me like a searing liquid.