I got a fever of 103

*Zaina*
I wake up because I almost can't breathe. And I realise it is because it is so warm, like chokingly hot. And the reason is that Zac is wrapped around me and he is burning. I need to get away from him and to get the thick duvet off.

But Zac holds onto the duvet, mumbling with a whiny voice. "No baby, I am freezing, please warm me, it's so cold".

"Zac you are burning up love. You got a bad fever". I say softly, putting my hand on his forehead. I definitely need to take his temperature.

His eyes flutter open, looking at me with a blurry and unfocused gaze. Then he starts coughing badly, clutching his chest.

"I don't feel good". He mumbles as he finish coughing. He is breathing a bit shallow. And he trembles from the fever.

I get out of bed, tucking the blanket around him. "I am going to get the thermometer, we better check that temperature. And I am getting you some water too".

"I am sure it's nothing. I just need to sleep and tomorrow I'll be all better". He objects as I get back, handing him a bottle of water and some pills that will help him with the cough.

"Zac this can't be treated with sleep, I am quite sure of that. Now sit still while I take your temperature". I gently put the thermometer in his ear, waiting for the beep.

He takes some small sips of water, but then he starts coughing again. I can hear a rasping sound from his chest with each cough and I have no doubt that he has a pneumonia. I gently rub his back. "You might be right. What do the thermometer say ?"

"103 so you definitely have a fever. I am calling my doctor as soon as they open in the morning. He is the old fashioned kind that still makes house calls". I go get a cool cloth to put on his forehead.

He gets another coughing fit, sounding like he is about to spit up his lungs. "Yeah I guess seeing a doctor would be a good idea".

I go get the warming creme I used on his shoulder and gently rubs it into his chest, hoping to relieve the chest pain and coughing a bit.

Admittedly I am relieved when he drift of to an uneasy sleep and as it is early morning by then I go get some breakfast and do a bit of cleaning before calling my doctor and asking him to come by.

"No mom, I have been good. Please don't". His voice has a higher more childish pitch to it and he desperately holds onto the blanket as I try to remove it from his chest.

I take his hand, squeezing it gently. "Shh Zac, it's just me. We just need to let the doctor take a look at you love".

"No, I don't want to go to school". He mumbles, then his eyes flutter open, they are glassy and his skin is flustered, making me sure his temperature is up. "Oh it's you baby. I think I was dreaming".

The doctor, an elderly man I has known all my life. Send him a friendly smile. "Good morning Zac. I hear you are not feeling well. Could you maybe sit up for a moment, so I can listen to your lungs ?"

"Sure doc". Zac say with a tired looking smile and I help him sit up, supporting him. His eyes that are trying to focus on me are bloodshot from coughing.

The doctor check him through, listening to his lungs and chest, taking his temperature. Then he nods, looking serious. "There is no doubt you have pneumonia and you are running a 105 fever. So I am going to give you a shot now and the prescribe some pills okay ?"

"Okay". Zac just say, letting simself sink into the bed. Looking like he is halfway to sleep already. He doesn't react at all when he gets the shot.

I walk the doctor to the door, thanking him and he smile at me. "I will come by same time tomorrow to check on him. Call me immediately if he gets unresponsive or his fever gets over 106, because then we might need to get him into the hospital".

"I will". I say. I know Zac would not be happy having to go to the hospital. But we need him to get healthy as soon as possible, so if that is necessary, he will just have to do it.

"And make sure he gets plenty of fluids, so he don't get dehydrated. See you tomorrow". He say and I let him out, going back to check on Zac.

He is sleeping soundly right now. So I put a bottle of water next to him and a note that I have gone to the apothecary to get his medicine. Hurrying into town, hoping to be back before he wakes.

As I am walking out the apothecary I spot my mother and I immediately stalks over, stopping in front of her. "What did you say to Zac yesterday ?"

"Oh hi sweetie.. just the truth". She says, but she isn't looking me in the eyes. At least she seems embarrassed.

I shake my head. "Oh don't feed me that bullshit mom. I know you said something really bad. Because he was very much upset".

"I just told him that he isn't worthy of you, that the lightning was God punishing him for being a freak and a fornicator". My mom huffs.

I have never felt so angry. "How dare you ? That man is the best man I ever met, only one coming close is my father. How you got a good man to marry you is beyond me. And why he haven't left you is even more of a surprise".

"Are you talking to your own mother this way ?" She says glaring at me. "How dare you talk to me like that ? See this is his influence".

"Oh no it isn't, this is me being tired of you bigot shit. It is your fault Zac is sick, he was so upset he wandered around outside in the rain and now have a pneumonia. So yes I am talking to you in this way". I am getting in her face now.

She actually looks a bit scared. She isn't used to me talking back, she isn't used to anyone talking back to her. "He only got what he deserved".

I step closer to her, my voice slightly shaking. "This is the end of this mom. You are done degrading Zac in any way. One more word from you about him that are in any way negative and I am never talking to you again.. do you get that ?"

"Yes, I got that". She looks about to say something more, but then turns on her heels and stalk away without another word.

*Zac*
I wake up feeling dizzy and disorientated. "Baby !? Zaina are you here ?"

  I try sitting up, but a cool hand holds me down, and the bed dips as she sits down. "I am right here Zac, no worries love. How are you feeling ?"

"Everything hurts and I am cold". I start coughing, feeling like my lungs contract with every single cough.

"You poor thing". She gently rubs my back while I cough. "I have your medication and I have made you some tea with honey".

I take the pills and swallow them with some water. Then I slowly sip the tea. "Thank you. Maybe I could talk you into warming me a bit ?"

"I'd love too". She says and shrug out of her clothes, before sliding down under the blanket beside me and I pull her into my arms, snuggling up to her warm body.

Despite feeling like hell, it feels nice laying here with her. "Thank you baby, for being here and for taking care of me".

"Of course Zac, it's nothing to thank me for". She say softly, placing her hand on top of mine. "I ran into my mom while getting your medicine".

"Oh". I kind of don't want to remember my last run in with mrs Robinson. "I hope she was being a lot nicer towards you than she was to me".

Her fingers trail over my hand. "Well.. I might have told her that I am done with her shit and that if she utters one more bad word to you or about you then she isn't my mother any longer".

"You didn't have to do that baby". I tell her, kissing her shoulder. "But thank you. I love you so much, I can't even comprehend it myself".

"I love you too. But now you should sleep, so you can get better". She say softly. And as I know she is right, I close my eyes drifting of to sleep.