Falter | Jimin

Drabble game request: Jimin + "Do you want to explain to me why you're blushing so much?" + College AU 

Character / Genre: Jimin x reader | College!au, angst | 1,382 words

❈❈❈❈

Jimin has had his eyes on you since the last 10 minutes, ever since you were called with a hush by the girl sitting at the opposite side of the classroom before she passed you a note - now hidden within your palms. And he kept his eyes on you curiously when he suddenly saw you lowering your face until he could barely see the sides of your cheek, curtained by your hair. The sudden behaviour might not be apparent to others, but to Jimin it was too obvious that it was both making him curious and annoyed at the same time, since you were both sharing the same desk. You were lab partners, after all.

Sounds of sighs and huffs resonated in the room, followed by screeching chairs and rustles of backpacks, the minute the Professor gave out a cue to dismiss the class. Jimin started to pack his belongings off the table, turning towards you and leaning closer when you still kept your face hidden from his sight even while you were gathering your books. Once he could get a glimpse of your face, he finally saw the hint of scarlet appearing on your cheek.

"Do you want to explain to me why you're blushing so much?" He whispered in a low voice.

You startled at the sound of his voice, too lost in your own thoughts, and you turned to face him after taking a deep breath. "Oh- what? What do you mean?"

"You're blushing," he pointed at your cheeks with a smile on his face, and now that you could see his face directly, the curious look in his eyes were much more evident to your eyes. "I've been sitting next to you for the last two hours, and I remember you didn't have that blush before. What's with the note?"

You glanced towards where he nodded his head at, looking at the piece of paper now crumpled in your fist due to the haste in gathering your things. "Oh-" was the only thing you could say from the realization of having your lab partner noticing the small thing, and you could feel the warmth creeping back onto your cheeks, a subtle sign that the blush might be appearing more obviously. "I- uh- it's nothing, it's just a random note."

Jimin looked at you with his eyebrows raised. "Nothing? It wouldn't be 'nothing' if it affects you that much, right?"

You inhaled a quick breath to calm yourself and pondered on whether you should tell him or to keep it to yourself and run away. But before you could even render a word to answer, a sound of someone clearing their throat as they passed by behind you grabbed your attention - and of course, Jimin's. You turned around to see the man that had sent you the note, grinning towards you without saying any words.

Jimin followed your glance to see one of his close friends passing by, locking his gaze with you and even leaving with a wink. "Taehyung? Did he send you that note?" He asked you, still having his eyes followed Taehyung as the tall boy made his way out of the classroom calmly. He turned to look at you once more. He didn't have to wait for your answer to know what exactly was going on, since the look on the boy's face and the blush that appeared on your face by the subtle interaction already confirmed his thoughts.

You only nodded your head as a response. Your face completely coloured in a shade of scarlet.

"So? What did the note say?"

"He- uh- he asked me to go out on a date with him," you answered sheepishly, gnawing your bottom lip and avoiding Jimin's eyes as you said the words.

Jimin felt a thump of his heartbeat making a quick leap. "Through a note? What is this, the 90s? Can't he just text you?" He scoffed. "So- Are you going to say yes?"

You finally turned your gaze to look at him, the edge of your lips forming a smile yet you kept it hidden by softly biting. "Well, I don't know, should I?

"I don't know," he shrugged. "Why are you asking me about it? I don't have anything to say in this, do I? Do you like him?"

"I- well, he is cute. And I kinda have had a crush on him for awhile," you grinned, before biting your lips again out of embarrassment.

"Oh-" was all that he could say. A simple response, yet if only you weren't so clouded by the thumping sound of your heartbeat and the butterfly wings fluttering in your stomach, perhaps you would catch on to how his voice faltered and how his gaze lowered to avoid your eyes.

He lifted his eyes to look at you, to finally speak up his mind, but that was when he saw how your eyes suddenly turned bright as you turned your gaze towards the door. He turned around in his seat, only then to see the boy that had you acting so giddy and excited through the doorway. He was standing in the hallway where it was visible to the both of you, leaning his back against the wall with a teasing smirk on his face that obviously was meant for you.

"I- uh- I should go and talk to him," you said urgently, pulling Jimin's attention back to see you picking up your bag and leave your seat. "I'll call you later, okay?" You said as you made your way to join Taehyung outside of class.

Jimin kept his eyes, following your every movement, until he saw you walk away with the boy and out of his sight. He released a sigh, pulling out a small box of chocolate and two tickets to the movies he had in his pocket. He took a moment to study them with his eyes before tossing them onto his desk. He leaned back in his chair, letting his head to fall back as he regretted the fact that he faltered too long about speaking up his mind - and his feelings - for you.

❈❈❈❈

TWO DAYS AGO

"Hey, don't you think we need to celebrate?"

"On what?" You answered with a mouth full from shoving a spoonful of ice cream in your mouth just seconds ago.

"On our project getting an A, dummy," Jimin answered you, before taking a huge gulp of his milkshake and tapping his fingers on the table as a sign of sugar rush already flowing in his bloodstream. "I think we deserve it, after those long hours of working and collecting data, all of those researches and headaches."

"Mhhm- aren't we celebrating already?" You asked him, lifting your spoon - already filled with ice cream and ready to be shoved into your mouth - at him and pointed his own milkshake with your chin.

"With this? No, no- we've been high on sugar rush all those times of working our asses on it," he shook his head. "Come on, what comes into your mind about celebrating? Don't you want to do something else and have fun?"

"Hmmm- going on a date sounds good. I haven't been in one for awhile. Assignments and piles of work made me single and lonely for too long," you pouted, before exhaling a dramatic sigh to exaggerate.

"A date, huh?"

"Yes. But not just a date," you pointed your empty spoon at him. "It has to be a fun one, with a gift of chocolate and good movies that could make me laugh a lot, and then I will go and have a super long nap to get rid of the rest of my remaining stress."

"Hmm- I never would've thought that you can have such a simple request," he mused, placing his chin on his hand above the table, still having his eyes on you.

"I am actually a very simple girl to please, Jimin," you retorted, completely missing out on how he kept staring at you with such an adoring smile, having your attention fully on finishing the ice cream in front of you. "And those are nice things. I like nice things."

"Don't worry," he said to you, hiding his smile from you as he spoke. "You will get them pretty soon."

❈❈❈❈