My Thoughts

Chapter 3

Danielle

"Are you kidnapping her?" I asked looking down at the small dirty child that climbed in the car with Adam. Her small round face was covered with dirt, her hair was greezy and matted, she wore a oversized dingy navy shirt as a dress and she had no shoes. But, she wore a pair of sunglasses as a fashion statement.

"No, I'm adopting her. Dani meet Alma. Alma meet Dani", Adam said putting on Alma's seat belt.

"Hi", I said.

"No English", she said to me. Alma tapped on Adams arm he looked to her as she pointed to her open mouth. Speaking in Spanish I asked if she was hungry. She told me Adam promised her candies?

"You did not just lure a child into your car with the promise candies. That's messed up! Adam she could have a family. You can't just take her away because you feel like it today", he has lost his mind. Right now, he's in no state to be raising a child. He could barely hold himself together.

"Don't worry. She has no one. She had a baby sister; who is dead now. I had Brandon do a background check on her before we left", so this is why we came to Monterrey. To get a kid?

"Why her?" I asked.

"Because Jennifer wanted her. So now I do", he turned his attention to the driver and told him to find a candy shop. The car slowly started to move and Adam turned back to me saying,"Can you get her some clothes? I have one nanny flying in once we cross the border again", he handed me his black credit card.

I nodded, yes.

I guess fatherhood is better than depression. Maybe this is Adams way of coping with losing Jennifer? I know she wanted a big a family, but Adam didn't seem like he was to excited about it.

Alma stomach growled, making Adam and I's head turn to her,"Ask her if she want real food. Not just sweets", I did and told Adam she said yes.

"Pull over here", Adam told the driver. We stopped outside of a restaurant La Catarina,"Dani are you good to go across the street?"

"Umm yes", I said.

"Good, Liam with Dani. When you're done there come inside and get something to eat. It's going to be a long drive back to the Border", he got out of the car and waved for Alma to follow she did and they entered to building.

I looked across the street to see a small boutique. Apprehensively, I stared out the window afraid to leave the car. Adam just killed a bunch of people and it didn't even phase him. Was I the odd man out for being afraid.

"Ma'am, I'm ready whenever you are", Liam said turning back in the captain seat to face me. Everyone else had exited the car and followed behind Adam and Alma.

"Can I ask you a question?" I said.

"Anything, ma'am", he said.

"Dani. Just Dani... or Danielle if you want to be super formal. You're not afraid? I don't think Adam is in his right mind right now and he just mowed down a bunch of people. Monterrey isn't his territory. You don't think they'll be consequences? Because if I've learned anything in these past few days it's that anyone can die, indiscriminately. And I really don't want to follow in Jennifer's footsteps".

"What happened at the compound couldn't happen in a populated city. The Independent Cartel had to be watching the place for months waiting for the right time to strike. They wouldn't be stupid enough to try something on that level with hundreds of witnesses and the army Mr. Caffery brought", Liam said trying to calm my nerves,"I'll be your side the whole, Danielle. I promise nothing is going to happen on my watch".