Fear

Chapter 31

Jennifer

"I'm sorry, how much did you say?" Alex said handing me an ice pack. He upgraded me from the motel I was staying at to a Holiday Inn in the center of town. The room was basic but clean with two queen size. It has started to rain in crazy chaotic drops, the gusting wind carrying them in wild vortices one moment and in diagonal sheets the next. The rain fell softly as if it knew of the hardships both behind and ahead. 

"Thanks", I pressed the cool bag against my black eyes and sat on the edge of my bed. Ever since I killed my guards Alex has been unusually nice.

Why?

"15,000", I said. I still has the $10,000 Shepherd gave me. But, I was going to use that as an emergency money. And I wasn't going to spend that if I absolutely didn't have to. If Alex gave me the money, it would save me the trouble of trying to get into Adam's saving fund for us.

"And how are you broke?"

"Adam's lawyer was better then mine", I said frankly.

Alex sat next to me, his hair fell into his face he stared straight ahead looking down at the carpet, his elbows on his knees,"Do want money? Or do you want help?"

That caught me off guard....

"Why would you help me?"

"Because, if you succeed. I succeed", he looked up to me with a lazy glance,"Why are you here, really? You may have fooled of my father. But, you have a terrible poker face".

Adam said the same thing too.

"It doesn't really matter, does it? I'm a means to an end to you and you're the same for me. Money", I said.

"Answer my question and I'll get you the money, Kitten", he said.

"Don't call me that", I complained. Alex shrugs his shoulders and sat up straight," Why do you care anyway? No matter what you're still getting what you want".

"Call me curious".

"Security", I said simply.

"Elaborate", he focus on me.

I couldn't help but think back to the compound. And with a blink of my eye I was back there. Trapped under the house.

Dying.

As blood poured out of me onto the sand, my body crushed under the heavy concrete.

To Adam's last words to me.

"I will, love. I will".

I was so weak. So exhausted.

And for the first time in my life truly terrified. There was no outsmarting this threat. Death was imminent and quickly approaching.

"A-a-d-d-a-amm", I coughed out. When I finally opened my eyes I saw the helicopter flying away leaving me behind.

"Come back!" I wanted to yell. But my voice was horse and drowned out by the blood that was spewing out of my mouth.

I still remember that copper taste. The sound of gunshots and explosions ringing out.

"Adam, please. Come ba--" The pain that once burned like fire had faded away to an icy numbness. Black filled the edges of my vision and the only thing I could hear was my own heartbeat. My breath came in ragged, shallow gasps.

Help.

My eyesight began to blur but not because tears were welling up. Everything became fuzzy; then I saw nothing at all. My consciousness was floating through an empty space filled with a thick static. Throughout the inky space my heartbeats pounded loudly, echoing in my ears, alongside fading pleas for help. I felt my body drain away until finally all was black.

I blinked and I was back in the room with Alex. He was still waiting for an answer.

"Fear", I was admitting something I had never told anyone. Something I had not even admit it to myself.

"Fear of what? Your husband?"

"Death. Dying alone, powerless to stop..." I turned away. Why was I admitting this to him

"I believe that. He didn't leave you. You left him because he couldn't protect you. And that's why you're here", he stood up and went to the window by his bedside and looked out at the pouring rain," You don't have to worry about dying with me, Mrs. García. As long as you are mine, kitten. You'll never have to worry about that".

I dropped my ice pack from my eye and walked over to look out the window with Alex,"Just as long as I bring you Hector's head".

"How easy was it for you to kill Ignacio, Eduardo and Samuel?" He asked.

"Are you asking if I hesitated?"

"No. I'm asking if your mind can take it. Having blood on your hands, getting dirty", Alex said.

"I can handle it", I stated.

He turned his head facing me. Lightning and thunder rang out," You'll have your money by morning. Get some rest". He said heading into the bathroom stripping off his clothes. He splashed some water on his face and came back out to the main room. Shirtless with water dripping down his chest. He stood in his underwear. That left nothing to my imagination.

"No more security teams?"

"No. Not if you're going to kill them. I told my dad I thought it was too much. But, he didn't listen to me. Even I don't have a security team", that's different I thought to myself. Adam always had security.

"You're not afraid of someone getting you down in the street?"

"Just a little known fact if something happens to me The Sinaloa Cartel will find whoever murdered me and make them live a thousand deaths", he said so confidently.

"And that's all the protection you need? A threat."

"A promise. Just like you fear death so does everyone else. If anyone comes after anyone in the García family that's all they'll fine", he said. I watched as a drop of water slowly made it this way down his chest.

Damn, he was beautiful.

With a perfectly chisel chest washboard abs that begged to have hands run over them.

Or a tongue.

Stop.

"I told you something personal about myself can I ask you something?"

"Go", he said.

"Why aren't you in charge of The Sinaloa Cartel. Your dad's pushing 60 isn't it time for new blood. Your time", stepping closer to me he was inches away from my face. He took my chin in his hands and tilted my face up I can feel his breath on my cheek.

"Are you suggesting Patricide?"

"No, I was---"

Abruptly, Alex cut me off," you think you know one drug house. And suddenly what all like that. My father will lead us until the day he dies. I'm in no rush to be in charge. My father and I are nothing like the Caffery's. That's something to be proud of", and then looked into his eyes I could tell he was serious.

"You love your father", I said just above a whisper.

"I more than love him, I respect him", He said.

"Even though he sold you like cattle", I asked.

"Is that how you feel about your father?"

"No. That was for the betterment of the family. Everything my dad had worked for, sacrificed for; was on the line. I wasn't going to let it go so easily. I did my part for my family", again, I was being too honest with Alex.

"We're not so different", he said," I trust my father's decision. I underestimated you. It won't happen again".

Thunder boomed as if cracking the air, like the very heavens would split apart.

Dropping his hand Alex let go of my face,"Get some rest. Tomorrow's going to be a long day". He climbed into his bed and turned off his side lamp, and  faced away from me.

Keeping an eye on him I quickly started to take off my clothes and crawled into my bed. I fell asleep thinking about what Alex had said.

We're not so different.