Family is the Most Important Thing

Chapter 5

Adam

Knock knock

Moment over. I stood up and gave Alma back her doll.

Knock knock

The door flung open; Thomas and Liam came storming in,"Sir, we have to move". Thomas picked up Alma and Liam rushed me out the door. The hallway was filled with with our security team.

"What happen?"

"Falcons, were spotting outside of the hotel. It won't be long before they're here", Liam said.

"Let's move!" Thomas demanded.

"Dani?" I said as we took the stairs two at a time.

"She's already in the car, sir", Liam said.

Who sent a Falcon to watch us? Monterrey doesn't have any cartels; no one has "claimed this territory". And why risk coming into the city in daylight? We were rushed in to the cars and as soon the door shut the car was jerked forward speeding through the streets.

"What is going on!?" Dani shouted. I turn to Alma and put on her seatbelt.

"A Falcon found us", I said calmly.

"You're not in instilling any confidence", Dani said holding on the roof car handle. The car took a sharp left turn throwing Alma to the floor with a sickening thud.

I helped her up and made a mental note to get a car seat installed in all the cars. For now she would just have to settle with sitting on my lap, until we made it safely across the border.

"What's a Falcon?"

"They're  the eyes and ears, of the cartel. They report back to the Lieutenant's who then report to their leaders. All it takes is one Falcon to see us for a whole army to descend upon us", I said holding on tightly to Alma.

"So we just run?" Dani said panicking.

"There's nothing to do, but run. We cannot fight them on their home turf. So we run today and fight tomorrow. It's not like we're coming back", Well not after this. Being so close to where Jennifer died was hard enough. I had Alma now, neither one of us had any reason to come back.

The car continued to speed, passing cars and joltimg us around. We never slowed down. Alma was holding on to my waist squeezing as tight as her little body could. 

"Dani tell her not to be afraid",  I really need to learn Spanish. 

Dani did, but it did little to comfort Alma.

"Slow down, no one is following us", I yelled at the driver, looking out the back window.

"Sir, that would be unwise. We have to move faster", he was right. We were hell-bent driving.

An hour later we made it to Border. Only to find, ten lanes of nonstop, jam-packed traffic on the thinnest roads imaginable. Our convoy was bought to a screeching halt. Dani fell back into her seat. I placed Alma in Dani's lap and lean forward to talk to our security team.

"We can't stay in gridlock traffic. Every second puts us in danger", I said feeling paranoid. Too many cars, with too many eyes. Any one of these people could be here to kill us. Liam's voice came on the radio,"Car crash up ahead".