I Can, I Will

Chapter 4

Adam

Knock knock

"Ladies, are you ready?" I said standing outside of Dani and Alma's room. After last nights pity session, I was ready to go back home.

The door opened a crack. Alma stood at the door clean, in her new clothes with her doll. She looked like a whole new person. Her hair must be naturally curly, we just couldn't tell with all the dirt and grime on her from before. It was a shiny dark brown just like her eyes.

"Buenos días", she said. I got that. I said good morning back to her while peeking into the room. Dani was still asleep.

I rubbed my stomach while pretending to eat an apple, trying to see if she was hungry for breakfast. With Dani asleep and Thomas trying to prepare for our drive back across the border I had to make do with simple gestures to understand what she wanted.

She nodded yes and stepped in to the hallway shutting the door behind her. She followed behind me and we started to made our way to dinning area.

Fa-thud

I hear crying behind me. I quickly spun around and saw Alma on the floor pushing herself up to stand.

How do you trip on a flat surface?

Ignoring my ass of a self I went to help her. On her way down she dropped her doll and I put it back in her hands. Alma wiped away her tears and shook off the pain of her fall. It had to hurt the floor was bear wood.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Lo siento", she said.

I have no clue what she was trying to say.

But, I did see the problem. Her shoes were untied, and on the wrong feet and they looked a little big. I knelt down and put the shoes on correctly tying them tightly, hoping that would save her from falling down.

"You good now?" I said holding up two thumbs.

Now it was her turn to have no idea what I was saying.

Duh.

I have a phone. Google translate to the rescue.

I had Google translate speak for me,"Are you okay?" I asked. I let my message play.

I held the translator up to her mouth and I got back,"No, hurt my knees and and head". She rubbed her head with big round eyes.

Can I give her a Tylenol? Kids get something for pain. But, what?

She gets baby Tylenol. I bet you could buy it in the gift shop.

Even in death Jennifer is my voice of reason.

You probably need to carry her. So she doesn't fall again.

Or fucking drop her.

I asked Alma if I could carry her and she stumbled into my arms. I held her at my side and she had the grip of death around my neck. We walked in silence down to the gift shop.

We walked into the glass room filled with souvenir t-shirts, postcards, hats and magnets. There was also a fridge full of soda in the back and above us hung low ceiling lights. I found the Tylenol behind the cashier and quickly bought it. We walked into the dining area and I found us a table towards the back of the room. Once I got Alma settled in her set I turned my attention to the Children's Tylenol.

Thank God, the descriptions were in English.

Ok....

This doesn't fucking help. I don't know how old she is. I typed into Google Translate,'how old are you?' and waiting for a response.

She said,"I don't know", but she held up four fingers.

What?

A waiter came by and asked for our order. Since I didn't know what Alma liked I ordered a little bit of everything: pancakes, waffles, bacon, crepes, fruit and juice.

Fuck it, I'll just wing it. One spoonful of medicine wouldn't kill her. I pored the liquid purple medicine into one of the spoons on the table and aimed it at her mouth. She turned her head away. Completely dismissing the spoon.

"Here are your drinks", the waitress said setting down our glasses,"Is there anything--"

"Yes, tell her in Spanish to open her mouth", the woman look confused and completely not expecting that. The women looked to Alma trying to assess the situation.

"My translator is asleep at the moment. I'm trying to make sure my daughter takes her medicine", it's not even been ten minutes and I had already fucked up. I made up a story about me adopting Alma just yesterday to explain our language barrier.

Waitress smiled warmly, then clapped her hands together snapping Alma and I's attention. The women spoke like a military sergeant, I had no idea what she was saying, but if intimidation was what she was doing for, she has succeeded. Alma opened her mouth reluctantly and took the medicine.

"Is there anything thing else I can do for you?" She asked.

"No. Thank you", smiling she walked away. I needed Jennifer for moments like this.

What the hell am I doing? I can't take care of a kid. I looked down at Alma who was drinking her juice.

You can do this. Adam, stop putting yourself down. Just look at that sweet face and you'll know what to do.

Jennifer's voice had more confidence in me then I ever had in myself.

Our food arrived and we ate in silence. I did notice Alma ate like this was her last meal. I assume that will go away when she realizes she's never going to be hungry again. We finished our breakfast and I carried her back to my room. I set Alma down and on the edge of my bed.

Well this is awkward.

We were just staring at each other.

Get to know your daughter. Ask her questions. Anything. Alma hopped off of the bed and stood in front of me pointing at my phone.

If she has something to say I was all ears. I handed her my phone with Google translate still pulled up she spoke into it and handed me back the phone.

I read,'You look sad'.

Was I that transparent?

Yes, yes you are.

I knelt down to be at my level with her I had a Google Translate say," I lost someone important. It still hurts".

Alma held her head then her heart then did the same thing to me.

Was she trying to figure out where I was in pain? That made me smile. She cared enough to be concerned. I pointed to my heart and she walked back over to the bed picking up her doll and came back over to me placing it in my arms.

She would give me her only toy.

Alma then did something I didn't expect. She gave me a hug. I hugged her back. And for these brief seconds I didn't feel sad I didn't even think about Jennifer. I felt normal.

Yeah, I could see our father daughter relationship working out. I can be a Dad.

I will be.