Be Better

Chapter 15

Adam

"WWwwAaaaaAA", Alma screamed as I tried to get her to come out of the water," WWWWWAAAA no. NO!" She hollered as I picked her  and her beach bag up and we moved further away from the water. We had been out here all day, it was time to go back to our suite.

"NO! NO! Nnnnnooooo", she began to cry harder kicking and thrashing in my arms.

"You let your child talk to you like that?" Mrs. Price said judgmentally. Alma continued to thrash about.

"I don't think a stern talking-to is going to work", how did Yuna make this look so easily. Alma never cried with her.

"A good slap on the bottom would settle her straight", Mrs. Price said walking next to us.

"I'm not going to hit her", the fuck is wrong with her? After everything Rodger put me through, I wouldn't dare do that to anyone else. Even if it wasn't just flat-out abuse it felt wrong because I knew how she would feel afterwards.

I can't spank her for not being able to communicate her ideas with me.

That would be frustrating as hell to me too.

But, I could. Call her bluff. I put Alma down and she ran back to the ocean,"So you just give her what she wants. Great job, you're enabling her".

"No, I'm not", I turned around and started to walk back to mansion.

Come on Alma, follow me.

Maybe she wasn't going to follow behind me. I was so sure I could---

"NO, Adam! No, no, no", jackpot. I slow down my walking to let her catch up.

"And she calls you by your first name", Mrs. Price continue to critique.

"As opposed to what?" I said turning to face Alma her brown black eyes were filled with sadness and heavy tears. I reached out my hand to her and sniffling she took it.

"Dad, Father, Daddy, Papa, pa", she listed off.

"It's not an issue to me", I looked down at Alma who was sucking her thumb still pouting. Tomorrow, I'll have Yuna take her out again.

"She's going to have to learn English; proper English, and her posture could use some work too and no sucking her thumb...", she continues a drone on.

For once I was glad Alma didn't know English. Mrs. Price was so critical of everything little thing Alma did. She was four, a child. Not next in line for the throne.

Geez let her be a kid.

I cut Mrs. Price off not wanting her to say another thing," Stop. There's nothing wrong with Alma. And if you think there is something wrong keep it to yourself. I'm not going to let you berate her".

"I'm not parading I'm improving. This world is ten times harder for women with color. I don't want her to be an easy target", Mrs. Price said as we entered the back entrance to the mansion.

"Maybe in the 50s but not today. Who the fuck cares?" I said.

"That is rich coming from a rich white man who's never had to work honestly. You grew up in the one percent of wealth and you've never had any doors close to you based on gender or race. You're lying to yourself if you think the world just changed overnight. Believe me when I say people still care it's just most don't say it out loud anymore. You'll see, the side way glances and the whispers in your direction. Surely, you've experienced it dating my granddaughter".