Hell Hath No Fury

Chapter 17

Jennifer

So far Shepherd has been quite accommodating. I put together that he wasn't with the DEA, he had to be with the FBI or CIA. Shepherd let me call Adam and my parents. Well, leave a message for them. At least now, people knew I wasn't dead.

"If Shepherd delivered the message at all", I looked up from my white vanity to see my Adam hallucination standing behind me in the mirror,"Why didn't I call you? Or even better flight down here and make you come home?"

Good point.

I knew Adam, he would come find me. Right? A few months apart couldn't break us.

Great, now I'm second-guessing what Shepherds is really up to.

Ok when I do get back to United States I was definitely going to  need some kind of medication. My brain was doing this way too often.  

As soon as I told Shepherd I would help him, Elliott and I were  flown directly to Quintana Roo in Mexico. In the short flying here, he gave us a detailed briefing about the Sinaloa Cartel and Ismael Zambada García. Some of the key member of the Sinaloa Cartel were staying at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We were staying in a four bedroom villa. My master suite was on the ground floor with doors opening onto the pool. The ensuite is huge with an outside shower and bath tub with candles. Across the courtyard of the villa was a "day room" with dining facilities, fridge, tea and coffee, TV and a huge day sofa to escape the heat of the sun. Within the courtyard of the villa compound was an outdoor dining area, several sun loungers and of course the pool and hot tub. 

I decided to wear a red, V neck spaghetti strap dress with a bodycon fit. It had a ruffle flared high-low trim on the bottom paired with black satin strapped heels.

"You look beautiful, love", Adam said as I put on my drop earrings.

That made me smile.

Hopefully, I'll heard the real Adam say it again.

Knock Knock

Looking past Adam I saw Elliott standing in the doorway wearing a dark grey suite with a skinny black tie,"Ready?"

"I guess", I said standing up, grabbing my clutch with a cell phone Shepherd has given me. I followed Elliott to the restaurant. The more I thought about it, the more I started to realize Shepard was probably blackmailing Elliot just like he was me. I just didn't know what Elliott had to give that required extortion.

I wish he would talk to me. We could work together.

"That would be smart. You both could out play Shepherd", Adam said now walking next to me.

Not smart, we still want immunity.

Even thought Shepherd gave me the paper I still needed them authenticated. I've know Ella Sherman for all of my adult life. She helped me with a parking ticket once and she's worked countless other cases for my parent's. I could trust her. 

"Can you?" Edgar said appearing in front of me.

Yes. I can. 

I walked a little faster to catch up with Elliot as we passed by the white stone pool," Hey! Just hold on for a sec", this was as private as we were going to get. Normally Shepherd was always within your range so we never I had the opportunity to talk.

Now or Never.

I grabbed Elliott's hand turning him to face me,"I know it going to say 'it's none of my business'. But, we are friends. You don't just go through a shooting and become strangers in the night. You help me save Adam's life and I'm never going to forget that. You're too smart to be caught up with people like Shepherd", hell, if I'm being honest people like me too. "Why? You wanted to find the cure for cancer not take down cartels. What happened?"