Louder Than Love

Chapter 23

Adam

"You're going what?!" Gamila demanded to know.

"Taking a vacation", we couldn't take off until she got off of the plane. I had to take my jet out of retirement. Not wanting to leave the family without some form of a quick escape if they need it. There were no rows of seats, only the most elegant leather couches and coffee tables with ornate cabriole legs. There were plush curtains at the windows and a plasma screen as large as a movie theatre.

"O you are so full of bullshit. A vacation where you won't even take your daughter. Where are you really going?" She said they say her hands firmly on her hips. She wore a black semi-sheer gauze woven jumpsuit with a straight neckline with a ruffle hem and sandals that wrapped around her ankles.

"Gamila, I'm a grown man with--"

She flopped down in the chair across from me,"With a whole lot of daddy issues and some self-destructive tendencies".

I gritted my teeth trying to stay calm with her.

"You know I'm right. And it's only fair if you can call me a self-centered, narcissistic bitch I can tell you the truth about yourself too", she said crossing her legs,"Why are you sneaking out in the dead of night to go on "vacation", she said.

"It's an 11-hour fight and I would like to be there before morning", I lied. As soon as Yuna agree to watch Alma for a few months I was printing out the door," How did you even know I was leaving?"

"Brandon is worried about you. And Main House is built like Fort Knox. No one moves without him knowing about it", she said.

The flight attendant bent down in my ear and said,"We're ready for takeoff if you are, sir?"

"One minute, Gamila was just leaving", the flight attendant nodded her head and went and told the pilots what I had said.

"You're going to go look for her? Jennifer? Adam, you're setting yourself up for heartbreak again. You saw her---"

"I saw her close her eyes. And then I got pulled away", I said getting mad.

I've replayed that moment in my head a thousand times, Jennifer's last words,"I existed, that I walked beside you for one moment".

"If she was alive. Don't you think she would have reached out? Why are you going this to yourself? Let the dead be dead", I know Gamila was trying to help me but I have to know. I have to try.

"Why do you care?"

Exhaling hard she said,"You've taking care of me when I was my worst. No what happened in the past, you are my oldest friend. The only family I kinda have", she said.

"You still have Emily. A half sister is better than no sister".

"Please, that bitch wants nothing to do with me", she leaded forward,"Please, Adam. Don't go down this rabbit hole. You have a family, here that needs you", she pleaded.

"I have to go".

"You will die. How many Cartels are in South America? You're going to fight them all?" I didn't have plan. I just knew I was going to find Jennifer. Alive or dead. I would find her.

"If that's what it takes. I will", I stood up and when to the back of plan.

"Boss?" Ross and James said taking their attention away from their card game.

"Get her off the plane", I said.

"You got", Ross said pulling out a needle.

"Adam! Don't you dare!", Gamila yelled from her seat. I watched as Gamila tried to fight off Ross only to fail. Her body went limp his arm.

"Have the driver take her back to Main House", I said going back to my seat. Ross disappeared from the plane.

I was leaving tonight.

I settled into my seat putting Jennifer's wedding rings from of my pocket. I thumbed it wishing desperately it was still on her hand.

Ross return back and I gave the flight attendant to go ahead to start take off.
It was going to be a long flight and an even longer journey to find Jennifer. I pulled out some headphones and listened to so music; hoping it would take my mind off of how desperate I was.

Looking out the windows I stared out at the sky. Stars shone as sugar spilt over black marble, glistening above.

Somewhere out there Jennifer was alive. I felt it in my heart. And I was going to find her even if I had to move Heaven and Earth itself. I would find her.

And when I did, I would never let her go again.