Airfield

Chapter 44

Jennifer

We made it to the airfields with no trouble. Unless you count the doubt in my mind.

Which I didn't.

Pulling up in the car I saw Ismael standing with twelve other men and a small army behind him. He also had three helicopters ready to take off at a moment's notice. I quickly put out my cigarette and exited the car walking up to Ismael. The helicopter blades were spinning  violently blowing my hair in every direction. Ismael greeted me warmly with a hug. And walked me over to the group of men.

We were ready.

I was introduced to Ismael associates. And unlike Adams houses these men knew to respect me.

I looked up to the sky.

Here we go.

A helicopter was fastly approaching the landing. I turned my head to  Ismael and for not even half a second I saw a blip of red on the side of his head.

A snipper dot.

So Shepherd was going to kill them all here.

"Are you ready?" Ismael asked me.

"Yes".

"As soon as you land Stateside we'll have a team intercept and bring you back home", he said.

I nodded.

The helicopter was closer now ready to land. It was painted green and was enveloped in a cloud of sandy dust. The blades that beat the air had much the same effect as a small tornado on the loose ground cover. As it came lower I covered my ears, holding my breath until I heard the blades slow down.

Someone on a speaker system inside of Shepherds helicopter announced,"Jennifer Renee García, step forward slowly, so we can confirm your identity".

I did feeling like I was walking up against a tornado.

"Stop right there", the announcer voice said.

I did.

He read me the rules of how this exchange was going to happen over the intercom,"Do not turn around. Do not make any gestures with your hands. Keep a slow steady pace when told to walk. Any deviation from what I have just explain to you will result in you being shot death", he repeated his speech two more times.

Then suddenly more lights were turned on illuminating the airfield with harsh white lights. I wanted to rise my hands over my eyes to block the brightness, but remembered what the man on the intercom said.

"WHERE IS MY SON?" Ismael yelled over the helicopters.

I kept my eyes locked on the helicopter in front of me. Shepherd said he would protect me but if he wanted to clean the whole situation he could kill us all. It would be easier than exchanging valuable prisoner like Alex.

I didn't want to think like that.

The helicopter side door opened abruptly and Shepard was the first one out. Pulling behind him a man with his head covered in a black bag and his hands were bound behind his back. Three other men followed behind Shepherd in full army gear with assault rifles ready to fire.

The night air picked up.

"Show us his face", I shouted.

Shepherd pulled out a knife and cut the man free. He then he yanked the black bag off of his head showing us it was Alex. But, dear God. He look like he had been tortured. His eyes were black and blue and one was sealed shut. His lips were cracked and bleeding.