Miss Bellefonte

Chapter 29

Jennifer

I found the Juárez Cartel "headquarters" to call it that was very lenient it was an abandoned building; on the outskirts of town. It was a complete mess, to put it nicely. From outside the boarded windows, the shabby wood paneling and the pealing door that was bolted with iron rods, all looked scary and threatening enough to keep most people away. The stormy night sky didn't help the atmosphere either.

But, I didn't have time to be afraid. Since, I was racing against the clock, before Alex found out his henchmen were dead.

So what's a girl to do?

I just drove up to the front gate.

Was it risky?

Hell yes. Especially, because I had three dead bodies in the trunk.

They could easily just shoot me. But, after some sweet talking and letting them know who my husband's were they let me inside.

After, letting me through the gate, two men walked me inside of the building. I passed doors that had bullet holes in them. The splash of red was probably not for design purposes. My footsteps echoed on the concrete floor. The stillness of the place sent shivers down my spine. There was water dripping from the roof, rhythmically, generating a melancholic melody. The door hinges were all rusted and the glass windows are all shattered.

"Stay here", One of the men said.

Stay clam.

Stick to the plan.

I'll be fine.

I kept repeating that to myself until I actually believed it. I lost track of how long I stood in the empty warehouse like room waiting. There was a wall full of windows broken and covered with grime. I saw lightning come, in brilliant shock of white in the graphite sky, forking silently to the unsuspecting ground. Violent gusts of wind  howled  throughout the night sky. It was as if the sky itself lowered wanting to crush the Earth.

"Meowwww", Edgar said appearing at my side. Apparently I was giving my cat a mental makeover. She now had a red silk ribbon tied around her neck.

Good girl.

I had a sinking feeling after my last encounter with my hallucinations: I wouldn't be seeing them again anytime soon.

"Focus", Edgar said it my feet,"You don't need them".

Let's hope so.

I had very limited, basic information about the Juárez Cartel. I knew Nicolás Viaero was in charge. And he had the tendencies of a psychopath.

"And he likes young dead girl", Edgar added.

"Mrs. Caffery", a man said in his late 40's appearing flanked by two guards with assault rifles, "Or should I say Mrs. García? I get it confused". He had three day old stubble and a neat pressed suit, the kind you only see on high priced lawyers. He took in the room with a single sweep, his grey eyes settled on me expressionless.

The word mysterious came to mind when looking at him.

Shifty, too.

"Miss Bellefonte will do fine", I wasn't going to use my real name. I lost nothing by giving him a dead man's name.

Walking closer to me he lit a cigarette and said,"I thought the Bellefonte were all dead courtesy of your husband?"