Civil Discussion

Chapter 49

Jennifer

Brandon found out where Shepard was at. And now that I was stepping back into the deserted strip joint all I wanted to do was burn it down.

"Just a class act all around", I said as my heels hit the hard concrete floor. I was battle already in my white suit, but most importantly I had a small army not even fifteen feet away.

Glass, blood and bullet shells were still littered everywhere,"Come to gloat?" Shepherd said sitting at the only remaining stool with a bottle of Jack by him side.

"I can do that anytime. I've come to make good on my promise. I said I would get you the Sinaloa Cartel and I still plan on doing that", I walked around the bar finding a clean unbroken glass.  since Shepard was just drinking out of the bottle I poured some of the liquid into the glass and pushing in front of him," Poison free, and on the house".

It's only been a few days but Shepherd looked rough: his eyes were bloodshot red, his five O' clock stubble was profound, his hair was unkempt and he look defeated.

Which meant he was the most dangerous. He had nothing to lose.

"Did you plan it this way?" He said letting out a wet cough.

"I wish I was that good. But, no", I said.

"Ismael García has completely disappeared. And now that he knows people are gunning for him he'll never come out of hiding. It's over", he said.

"You've been poisoned, ran over, stabbed and shot, left for dead and God knows what else. But this, this is the end for you?"

"Not much I can do now", he said taking the glass I had poured him and chugging it down.

That could be a real problem. If Shepherd's bosses give our cases over to someone else there's no telling what they could do. What they would do to bring Adam or Michael in? I could see it now; wanted poster with Adam and Michael's pictures on it. No, Shepard was going to stay right where he was at.

"I told you I was here to keep my promise to you. But now you need to make a deal with me".

"No. Once I get back stateside I'll be reassigned to another case; if I can keep my job", Shepherd said standing up.

"Sit down", I said gently.

"Fuck off, Jennifer", He stumbling to the door.

"Sit the fuck down or I'll have you shot the moment you step foot outside", he stopped and I filled his glass back up. Shepherd still didn't turn around to face me,"I know who you are", that made him turn around,"Sit, please".

He reluctantly did.

"My husband and Ismael García have two things in common. One, they're both powerful men who I build Empires off nothing. And two, they don't care what they have to do to maintain what they built. Even if that means selling to jahadi terrorist. As sickening as it is", Shepherd drank,"You've been keyed in on Ismael long before you knew about the Caffery's. I would say Adam showed up on your blimp about three years ago? When he was going to met with the Boko Haram".

Shepherd didn't say anything but I saw murder in his eyes.

"I can only imagine the things they did to you. I don't know how you escaped. And it doesn't matter now.  If it gives your heart any joy to know Abubakar Shekau died when the building blew up", I said remembering that day Jason attacked us.