Prompt 3: Blizzard

Life in the Penthouse

Prompt 3: Blizzard

A/N: This one follows prompt #2, "Ice."

Chase coughed for the millionth time that day.

"Bree! He's coughing again!" Oliver shouted from behind a wall in the stairwell.

"Oliver, he just has a fever. I don't think he has anything terribly contagious." Bree said as she poured some soup from a pot into a bowl.

"Yeah, but he's still sick!" Oliver said as he went back upstairs.

Bree rolled her eyes and walked over to Chase. "You feeling better?"

"No." Chase said.

Skylar came downstairs. "Hey, what's wrong with Oliver?"

"He thinks he's going to get Chase's fever." Bree said as she started to spoon feed Chase the soup before he sat up and took the bowl and spoon for himself.

"Are you sure you still feel bad?" Bree asked.

Chase nodded as Bree stuck a thermometer in Chase's mouth.

The thermometer beeped. "102.4." Bree said as she took the thermometer out of Chase's mouth. "Well, eat as much of the soup as you'd like. Don't think you have to eat all of it." Bree said as she stood up and walked to the kitchen.

A few hours later...

The Elite Force (minus Chase, who was sleeping upstairs) was watching a movie. Of course, they didn't expect it to get interrupted with a emergency weather alert...

"I hate that noise!" Kaz said as he jumped and covered his ears. "Why do they have to put that in every single one of these alert things?"

"It's called an attention signal." A small, weak and sickly voice sounded from the stairwell.

Bree turned and looked at Chase, who was standing in the stairwell. "Chase! Do you need something?"

"I just wanted you to mute the EAS alert. It makes my bionic hearing go haywire." Chase said.

"Alright, but we still have to listen to the message." Bree said as she grabbed the remote and everyone relaxed as the goose bump inducing beeping vanished.

"Thank you." Chase said as he turned and went back upstairs.

Bree shook her head. "I can't believe he can hear all that from his capsule."

"Well, it kind of makes sense." Skylar said.

They all nodded their heads as the message scrolled across the screen:

The National Weather Service in Centium City has issued a Blizzard warning for the following counties: Centium, Quillan, Veelox, Ibara and Zadaa. Effective until February 27th, 2018 at 6:30 PM, eastern time. At 7:45 PM, Doppler radar indicated heavy snow entering the area. Precautionary/Preparedness actions: Go inside. Do not travel unless it is absolutely necessary. The latest road conditions are available by calling the Centium City Department of Transportation at (111)111-1111.

"Well, I guess we're snowed in." Skylar said.

Then, the lights flashed.

The heater gave one last puff of hot air.

The lights went off.

"Great." Oliver said sarcastically. "Now, we're stuck in a cold apartment, Chase is sick, and we can't see anything beyond our hands!"

"Kaz, light the fireplace." Skylar said.

Kaz went over to the fireplace and allowed the flames to heat up the cold apartment.

"I'd better go upstairs and make sure Chase stays warm." Bree said as she stood up and went to the boy's room.

In the Boy's Room...

Bree hated going in the boy's room.

Kaz and Oliver's sides were covered in dirty clothes, towels, empty bottles of water, comics, plates, bowls and silverware.

Chase's side, on the other hand, was the only side Skylar and Bree would ever willingly go on. Chase hated clutter and mess, in general. Stepping over from Oliver and Kaz's side to Chase's was like night and day.

Bree found Chase on a couch that Mr. Davenport had placed in each room on Bree and Chase's sides in case they ever needed to lie down and the living room downstairs was noisy or occupied by too many people.

Chase was sleeping, with one blanket over him. Even then, it was a throw blanket, so it wasn't as warm as a sick person would prefer.

Bree noticed Chase shiver slightly as the room's temperature went down.

Bree ran down to a cabinet in the stairwell that contained blankets, vitamins, candles, and a box labeled, "Do NOT Open!"

Bree found a comforter and went back to Chase, whose quivering was much more apparent.

Bree unfolded the comforter, then placed it on her baby brother, who took to it immediately. Soon, Chase wasn't shaking with bitter cold anymore.

Bree went back downstairs and found that someone had found an empty water jug, cut a hole in it, then had placed a headlamp in it.

Oliver was making hot chocolate in the microwave, Kaz was trying to get something to load on his phone, and Skylar was calling the building to report the power outage.

Bree took a seat on the couch as the microwave finished heating up the hot chocolate.

"Hot chocolate's done!" Oliver said as he took the mugs out of the microwave and distributed one to each member who was downstairs.

"Yeah, okay. Thanks." Skylar said as she hung up. "That was the building manager. The whole building lost power, so we're not alone." She sat down next to Bree and took a sip of her hot chocolate before asking, "How's Chase?"

"I put a heavier blanket on him, so he should be warm." Bree said. "I'll check on him later."

Over the next few days, the roads got better, Chase's fever went down, and power was restored to the building.

A/N: Sorry for not updating last week! I was traveling a bit and, instead of writing, I read an autobiography. Then, I completely blanked out on writing anything for this story. I'm sorry!

About the EAS (Emergency Alert System) thing, I'm a total nerd when it comes to severe weather, whether it be the warnings, or a tornado, or something like that. At first I was constantly scared, since I live in an area that commonly has tornadoes, but now I'm intrigued.

Did anyone catch the Pendragon reference?

Some people in Tennessee and Arkansas, watch the weather and stay safe tonight,

~Alto