Chapter 30

Clary's POV:
I woke up after a small nap and internally groaned. I was still in the hospital. My head felt like crap and I dreaded when I had to look at myself in the mirror. The doctor said they had to cut my hair a bit at the back. I had never had short hair ever. And now it looked like I had no choice but to accept it. I can't remember a thing about today and come to think of it I never asked either.

I looked to my left where Jace was sitting reading a magazine that was left on a small table beside my bed. He seemed to be engrossed in it but he looked up every so often, and didn't think I noticed

"Jace?" I questioned determined to find answers. He jumped in surprise but soon his composure returned.

"Yeah?" he said immediately leaving down the magazine and placing his full attention on me. His golden eyes looking at me as if he knew every thought that ran through my head and it made me shift uncomfortably in the bed.

"What happened?" I asked trying to sound confident like those women in action movies but it came out more like a pathetic whisper.

Jace immediately stiffened. He hesitated for a second and then spoke in a quiet tone.

"Look Clary.....I probably shouldn't tell you but...I'd feel awful if I didn't-"

At that moment Dean walked into the room.

"Hey" he said with a huge grin on his face, but it turned to a glare when he directed his attention to Jace. Both seemed to have a private conversation with their eyes and not for the first time today I felt like I was being lied to.

"Can I talk to you outside" Dean said directing his attention to Jace.

"Sure" he said through gritted teeth.

"We'll be back soon" Jace said giving my hand a squeeze before following Jace out the door.

Jace's POV:
"What the hell Jace?!" Dean all but shouted "I thought we had an agreement?"

"I didn't agree to anything, she has a right to know Dean" I said crossing my arms.

"What that she was almost raped and it was my fault?" Dean said gesturing to himself "she'll never talk to me again.

Anger built up inside of me.

"What do you mean your fault?" I asked trying to keep my cool.

It was as if he suddenly realised what he said all anger drained from him.

He ran a hand through his hair and turned toward the window to Clary's room.

"I let her walk home Jace" he said looking straight at Clary laying alone in the room "she said she had someone to bring her home so I left her at the damn school"

Suddenly my anger drained away. Dean was completely torn and it was only now I noticed how worn out he looked. Maybe we did have something in common. Being shitty humans.

"Look I man I'm sorry. I shouldn't have tried telling her but don't you think she has the right to know?" I asked lowering my voice.

"She does" he said turning to look at me "but just wait til she's out of hospital she doesn't need the stress"

I doubted his theory but I kept quiet.

Izzy's POV:

I waited outside the small restaurant. People passed by but none of them familiar. I weird sensation came over me. It was as if a weight was pressing in on my stomach. Was this nervousness? I was not used to this and I wasn't sure did I like it.

I checked my phone. He was already 10 minutes late and I considered going in but he had made the reservation and insisted on walking me in.

Suddenly there was a panting teenage boy in front of me. His hair in need of a haircut falling over his face and his glasses falling down the bridge of his nose. I suppressed a giggle at the sight in front of me.