#SHRUNK#

The hospital was way more peaceful than she imagined it would be as she arrived there. She thought a hospital will be so busy with rushing doctors and nurses from one room to another and the screaming patients who are in pain.

      But all her thoughts went south when everything seems controlled there.

      Maybe I should reset my mind over how hospitals look like.

     "Shall we?" Eric came up from nowhere and elbowed Janice's arm, after seeing her too engrossed with the environment of the hospital. Sometimes he didn't understand what's so amazing about it.

     "Ah? Sorry." Janice realized that she's just too deep in observing the hospital and forgot that Eric had left her about 10 steps behind.Quickly, she followed Eric steps from behind, heading to Carol's room.

      They arrived in front of a door numbered 234 with Carol's name on the board and the name of her doctor. Eric opened the door behind him and they both froze by what they've seen.

     "Carol?" Eric called out Carol's name while looking around the room. Janice followed from behind with confusion. Where's Carol?

     Janice looked around the room and found that her bed had fully tidied. IV bag also nowhere to be found. Did Carol take a walk? But Eric said she can't even stand more than 5 minutes, her legs became numb.

     Janice kept looking at the bed and her eyes moved to something rectangular and whiter than the bottom of it, it's looks like it was purposely slid under the vase of flowers.Janice squinted her eyes and moved closer to the side table. It turns out to be a piece of paper,neatly fold into a rectangular.She thought, it might be a letter but with no envelope. She was about to flip it over to see the sender's name, with the thought that it must be for Carol.

       "Janice can you look in the bathroom? Maybe Carol is there." Eric asked for help with his panting voice. He looked like he was damn worried.

     Influenced by Eric, Janice got panic as well. She put the letter into her bag and ran to the bathroom to do what she's been asked to. But for their disappointments, Carol wasn't there too.

     "She's not in the bathroom!" Janice yell out of worry.

      Eric began scratching his head, trying to figure out what is happening. He's 100% sure they didn't enter the wrong room, Carol's name written at the door!

     Suddenly, a nurse came by to take the patient's report hanging at the end of the bed. The nurse also put on a shock face when she saw Eric and Janice in the empty room.Wasting no more time, Eric walked up to the nurse , and so that Janice to ask what happened to Carol.

       "I'm sorry,nurse. But where did you take the patient here? Patient named Carol?" Eric ask, trying to be polite as  possible as the nurse looks quite older.
      "Owh, she's getting ready for the operation. She has to do the operation since her health got worsen.She collapsed in this room. Luckily her friend came by and told us about her in a grave danger." The nurse spoke like a horror narrator. Making both of Eric and Janice felt uneasy and scared.

      "But,.. i don't pay for it yet." Eric got calmer as he heard that Carol's going to do the operation. But, who paid for it? It's not that cheap.

      Speaking of the operation, he's scared as well.

      That's the cruel part of how hospital work, they don't do the surgery unless you pay for it.

     "Owh!Don't worry, her friend paid for it. He must be your friends too ,right?." The nurse smiled and excuse herself to do her job.

    "He?" Eric looked at Janice and both changed a confused face. "Who?"

     Before the nurse could leave, Janice asked where the operation room is.But she's warned that she shouldn't be in there.

    "I'm gonna looked at the payment counter to ask who paid for it. You should head to Carol before she enter the operation room. She want to meet you badly." Eric ordered but Janice looked unsatisfied with his order.

     "Why need to meet her now? Let her finished her operation and i'll meet her. She's gonna make it,right? I know she's gonna make it." Janice tried to cheer up the intense situation. But, Eric's serious face didn't change.

     "Janice..." Eric walked closer with her serious eyes. But something strange hid behind those eyes, scared. Then, he inhaled a deep breath and exhaled it, trying to calm down and arrange his words.

      "Janice, this operation is only 20% of succeed and 80% failure. Brain operation is not easy! The brain can stop working anytime, and by that time, no more scalpel needed.No more doctors needed!!" Eric said quite in the form of gelling in frustration.
"So,please.. I'm begging you. Meet Carol before it's all too late." Eric said, turning his head away as his tears finally made it to his cheeks.

Eric excused himself to go to the payment counter, leaving Janice behind.

...

Janice 's pace of her steps became slower when she was about to reach her destination. Truthfully speaking, she don't want to look sad in front of Carol, she must be strong!

Looking at Carol getting ready for surgery through the see-through square glass on the wall of the room somehow break her heart a lot more than she's expected.

Carol's hair was shaved as it is one of the procedure to start a brain surgery. And various wires attached to her body, red wires, blue wires, machines surrounding her...

Couldn't held it in, Janice burst into tears and quickly looked away from Carol's current situation. She closed her mouth with the palm of hers to hide her sobs.

Janice took a glance at Carol's once again and to her shock, Carol was looking at her.

Making this chance as beneficial as it can be, Janice quickly took out her notebook and a black marker out from her bag. She must do it no matter what! It's Carol's last wish!

She wrote the words hugely so that Carol can read it in her book quick and showed it Carol through the see through glass.

'I FORGAVE YOU'

Looking at Carol do look at her book create a smile on Janice's face. Then, she wrote more.

'I LOVE YOU'

And more..

'BE STRONG!'

Finally, she could see a small smile formed on Carol's face before she closed both of her eyes. Janice thought maybe she's under the anaesthetic control. Janice felt so relieved that Carol now can go through the surgery in peace. Janice drew her biggest smile for Carol hoping that it will help her to calm down earlier when she saw Carol's sweetest smile.Nothing will turns out wro- -

PEEEEP!!!

Suddenly, the heart monitor line went flat.
Her blood pressure dropped.

Janice's heart shrunk to the smallest size as it can be.