33

The next day came around and Elena told me that Elijah was coming over to talk about the curse.

He explained that the moonstone would be activated and then a werewolf and vampire would be sacrificed.

"So where does the doppelgänger fit into this?" I asked curiously sitting next to Elena.

"Elena is part of the final part of the ritual. Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger to the point of your death." He explained looking to Elena as he took out a box.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked looking to Elena worried. I didn't want her risking everything.

She nodded. "Elijah said he had something for it."

"Yes. An elixir. Witches made this some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses magical properties of resuscitation." He explained as he took out a glass container from the box.

"So I'll be dead?" Elena asked curiously and my heart beat a little faster.

"And then you won't." Elijah added looking to her.

"That's your plan?" Damon asked as he came in. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You want to come back, how about Johns ring?" Damon asked.

"Those rings only work on humans. The doppelgänger is a supernatural reoccurrence. Odds are it won't work." Elijah explained.

"And what about Emma? We know Klaus is insane and he's already voiced his want for her. What does he need?" Damon asked worried.

"As far as I know for the curse, he doesn't need her, but he could have some side plans." Elijah nodded lightly. "We could make sure she's somewhere where he can't find her. That way she's safe."

"What if none of this works at all?" Damon asked looking to Elena.

"Then I guess I'll just be dead." She shrugged.

"Wh-" Damon started as I looked to Elena. "No one should have to die." Damon added before he walked out. I looked to him sadly. If I was gone he'd have nobody on his side. Nobody wanted to argue anymore. Everyone just wanted it to be over, but I wasn't just gonna sit and watch. Hell if I was gonna pretend like I wasn't helping. This was happening tonight no matter what.

I was sitting by a window thinking on how I could stay safe. There was no convincing Elena that this was the right thing and I knew that if I went to Klaus we would both be killed. I needed to be sure I'd stay safe if I was left alone. At the very least I needed to be alive and I could only think of one way to assure I would be: vampire blood.

"Stefan." I said as I saw him walk in the hallway. He turned to me and I walked over. "I... need you to do something for me."

"What is it?" He asked as I sighed.

"I know Elena wants to do this and I know you've come to terms with it, but I haven't. So, just in case something goes horribly wrong, can you give me some of your blood?" I asked looking up to him. It was a question I never thought I'd be asking.

"No. I can't do that to you." He replied.

"Stefan this is what I want. I don't want to let her do this, so the least I could do is make sure I can't leave her. It's just a back up plan in case something goes wrong and we don't know how to fix it." I explained to him.

"Why didn't you ask someone else? Why me?" He asked confused.

"You mean why not Damon?" I asked crossing my arms as he nodded lightly. "Because he wouldn't do it." I replied simply. "You said we needed a backup plan for me, this is it." I knew there was no other way to convince him that this was the right thing to do.