39

Damon and I got back from our road trip and I felt a lot better, a lot less scared of myself. I could finally see everyone that I missed. I was grateful to him for everything he had helped me through. When he wasn't with me he was either looking for Stefan, or making sure Elena wasn't doing something to screw things up. We usually watched over Elena together, but honestly it was usually just them two fighting each other while I sat there annoyed.

Klaus didn't know she lived which we needed to make sure stayed that way. She kept trying to find Stefan or her own time though so it made it harder to keep her in check.

Dad was helping with that too. He spent some nights on Elena's couch to watch over her and Jeremy. He sort of felt obligated with her being my twin and his relationship with Jenna and all. He was surprisingly okay with Damon and I, maybe he was avoiding it. I have no doubt in my mind that my dad gave him a stern talking to though.

I had spent the next few weeks hanging out with Tyler and Caroline. Tyler at first felt bad for me but then he just accepted it. The best part was that now I could beat him at arm wrestling.

Caroline was mostly helping through it all. At first she was sort of there to make sure I could handle myself but she then became really close with Tyler too. I could tell they were both attracted to each other, even though they wouldn't admit it at all.

Matt didn't talk to me as much. It was the same with Caroline. They broke up and he seems to really hate vampires so we were out of the picture.

Today was my birthday. Elena and I's first birthday together. I told everyone I wanted a drama free day that I got to spend with my friends. Caroline was throwing a "small" party and Tyler decided to take her and I to lunch.

I got ready in a normal outfit and walked out to see my dad with a cupcake on the counter. "Happy birthday Emmie!" He said as he wrapped his arms around me.

I laughed lightly. "Thanks dad." I smiled as I hugged him back. "Did you make this?" I asked looking at the cupcake.

"3 dollars at the bakery down the street." He replied as he put a candle on it. "I know I'm chaperoning the party but I wanted to have something special for us."

"Sure your not just happy that you can technically kick me out now?" I asked raising my eyebrow.

"Of course not." He nodded his head jokingly as he lit the candle. He let out a laugh. "Alright come make a wish." He smiled as I walked over.

"Hmm." I thought. What could I wish for? Elena to be happy, Stefan to come back. I decided on just hoping this day would be good. I closed my eyes and blew out the candle.

I opened my eyes and looked at dad. "As much as I'd like to eat this now, I'm gonna have to save it for later. Tyler's taking me to lunch." I smiled lightly putting the cupcake in the microwave. Tyler texted me saying he was almost here.

"Alright well have a good day." He smiled lightly kissing my forehead. "I'll see you at the party."

I walked out the door and I saw Damons name pop up. I answered it. "Hello?" I asked through the phone.

"Hey." He replied with a sigh.

"Did something happen?" I asked worried.

"Yes." He replied. So much for my wish. "I'm in the bath... alone." He added as I smiled and let out a chuckle as I walked down the stairs.