6

Harry

After dropping off Emily at the airport I drove to our office for our Christmas party. I was feeling better and began to regret telling Marlene about my problems. She wouldn't understand why I was giving Emily another chance. I held her gift in my hand and walked into the meeting room to drop off my food. Marlene was talking to Louis by the snack table and I quickly went over and smiled. "Hey man, you showed up." Louis waved.

"Yeah, little late since I dropped the missus off at the airport." He nodded. Marlene instantly looked at me strangely before walking away. I sighed telling Louis I was going to see the decorations. He nodded going back in where everyone was drinking and celebrating.

I followed Marlene to our cubicle where she sat there looking upset as she ate a cookie "Leave me alone please." She said quietly.

"I can't, I'm your secret Santa. Here." I sat down on my chair and she smiled opening the box I had under my arm. Inside was a mug that had little snowflakes on it and read "queen of hot chocolate." She chuckled and looked at me.

"I love it, thank you." She reached out to hug me and I gently hugged her back. As she pulled away she looked at me for a second before quickly standing up. "Thanks, Harry."

I stood up looking down at her. "Marlene about everything-"

"It's cool, it's your life and your decision. I'm always here to talk." I gulped as she began to walk away.

"I don't want you to look at me differently." She suddenly turned and shook her head.

"Harry it's too late for that. If you want to be in a toxic relationship that's on you. Just know that you deserve better than someone who can't see how smart and funny you are. You are worth more than she deserves, Harry, and you won't know that until she puts you in the hospital-"

"Stop!" I looked at her feeling embarrassed that she knew this about me. I quickly turned around and walked away going towards the exit. I needed to get out of here away from everyone.

*

Marlene

I was an idiot to think he would leave her and come running into my arms. He was under her spell, god only knows what she said to trick him into staying with her.

Christmas Eve, I went to my parent's house and had dinner. I seemed down and my mom noticed immediately. "Sweetie, what's going on?"

"Nothing just tired I guess." I shrugged taking a bite of food. She patted my head. I looked at my brother who gave me a look, which I quickly mouthed 'I'm fine'. After dinner, we all sat around handing out presents from each other. I gave Jeff a brand new jacket and my sister an art set, which my mom gave me a dirty look for. I gave my mom a pair of overpriced shoes and some new candles for her kitchen table.

I also got my dad some new ties and a jacket similar to Jeffrey. My dad's and my relationship was good. He didn't get involved in my personal life and never judges me. We have dinner together once a month to catch up, but he never asks personal stuff. We mostly talk about movies or sports, and bands we like.

"Here kid, I got you these." I smiled at the box quickly opening it to see a bunch of records from my favorite bands.

"Oh cool dad, thanks." I hugged him.

After presents, I went up to say goodnight to my sister but she was already asleep. I kissed her forehead and walked into my brother's room where he sat on the floor folding his shirts he got from my dad. "Heading out?"

"Yeah, I really don't want to be here for church tomorrow so there's that." He chuckled.

"You're lucky." He sighed. "Wish I could come with." I looked at him and thought of an idea.