19

Harry

Almost three weeks after Oliver was born I was able to take him home. The nurse explained that he would have to be put on medication to ease the pain. Apparently, there was more than a few drugs in his system that were hurting him. He was on a bunch of things to ease him out of the drugs slowly.

I had made friends with the other mum's in the NICU and spent my time singing and reading to Oliver along with working from my computer.

My phone buzzed at bedtime and I quickly answered. "Hello princess."

"Hi baby, how is he?" Marlene's voice filled my heart with joy.

"He's good, sleeping, the doctor ran tests and they said that if he can handle being in his car seat and everything, we can go home." Marlene had picked up the slack for me at work. Mr. Edmunds was confused about the baby but understood once I explained. I was on paternity leave.

I had been staying in California with my son and it was getting more and more depressing. "This is the worst of it." They kept saying to me.

"I miss you, and I can't wait to see him, I fixed the room and your sister sent some stuff so I had to move your bed to the other wall." She explained. I needed to find a new place for us.

"By yourself?"

"No, I had the movers who brought the crib to do it." Crib? "Oh I found a crib at the thrift store, I painted it light blue with little stars on it." I smiled.

"That's so sweet, well I have to go because I can tell Oliver is getting cranky." I looked over and he began twitching. I learned that the only way for him to calm down was to be held skin to skin in a dark room. They had put his medication all the way down to almost none gradually and now my little man was on his own.

"Okay, get some sleep Harry and call me when you're on your way. I will be on the phone with you the whole way if I have to." She warned me. "Don't want you falling asleep."

"Okay, I love you."

"I love you more." We hung up and I quickly pulled off my shirt and grabbed a pillow, blanket, and my baby to lay on my chest. He cried for a second until I rocked him slowly and hummed.

"It's okay, daddy's here." I was the only one here. Emily was nowhere to be seen and according to her mum she 'knew where she was, but is in no shape to see the child.' Then proceeded to dump money into my account. I had already contacted a lawyer who basically said if he's mine and Emily left without signing the birth certificate, she can't take him from me. Her leaving was basically her signing off her rights.

*

When I did make it home I was exhausted from the drive. I had to stop every two hours for feeding and change. I bought a new car seat and a stroller with the money Emily's parents gave to me and also formula.

Coming into my apartment was overwhelming. There are balloons and flowers from so many people. The place was clean and smelled like baked goods. "Love?" I called out. Suddenly Marlene appeared from the room and squeaked.

"Oh sorry." She covered her mouth. I set him down and she ran up to hug me. "I." Kiss. "Missed." Kiss. "You." Kiss "so." Kiss "much."

"I missed you more, there's someone I want you to meet." We kneeled on the floor and I slowly pulled up the blanket revealing Oliver's little face. He was awake, his grey eyes on display. "Oliver, this is my girlfriend Marlene. Marlene, this is Oliver." She sniffled.

"He looks like a grandpa." We both giggled. "He's so cute and bald." She lifted his hat up a little to see. She had seen him over photos only.

"You want to hold him?" She nodded sitting down on the couch as I pulled him out. She held him and pouted.