27

A quick heads up, I've only been to the children's court of Los Angeles and so my descriptions are of what I saw there. Let's have an imagination people its fiction.

Harry

I woke up the day of Oliver's first birthday and looked over to find an empty bed. Used to being next to my wife, I stood up and went to the bathroom, then down the hall towards the kitchen where Marlene was talking to Oliver.

"We have to go to the court today but when we're done we have cake and Jeff will come over." I looked into the kitchen and watched as she sat with him and fed him breakfast.

The thought of returning without my son put a lump in my throat. I knew I would win but what if I didn't? What if I had to share custody, I would probably have to go back to England.

"Ma ma ma eh eh!" Oliver's voice brought me back from my thoughts.

"Yes we are eating eggs, say eggs." He giggled.

"Eggs!" He said making me smile big.

"Good job cutie, I'm so proud of you." She sniffled.

"Mama," He said to her. "No no no." It was quiet for a while and then she spoke.

"Why are you just standing there?" She turned to look at me. "Join us."

"Just admiring my wife and child." I shrugged walking over to sit beside them. I gave Oliver a kiss and then Marlene leaned in for a kiss on the lips. "I want to talk to you because I can tell you've been acting weird for a while." She didn't say anything, but the past few days before she'd do anything with Ollie, she would ask. "Marlene I want you to legally adopt Oliver." She turned to me and stared at me for a minute.

"What?" Her voice cracked.

"When I win sole custody, I'm going to begin the process to make you Oliver's mum legally." She stayed quiet. "That is if you would like to," I said quickly.

Tears spilled over her eyelids as she began crying leaning into me covering her face.

"Mama." Ollie looked at me as if to scold for making her cry.

"Mama's crying because she loves you, baby." Marlene's hands went around my torso as she sobbed. "Hey look at me?" She sniffled and pulled away to wipe her tears. "I know I've said shit about me being his parent but the reality is that I'm scared. I didn't want him to get attached to anyone, but you are his mum Marlene." She nodded. "And I want you to be his mum permanently okay?"

"Okay." She began crying and leaned into my chest again.

*

A few hours later, dressed in our best outfits, we drove to the court where we met with the lawyer Tom Preston. Marlene introduced herself as she held Ollie in her arms. She dressed Oliver in a cute little sailor outfit telling me he's not on trial so he should look cute.

We went over the game plan, as the attorney liked to call it, as we waited for Emily to show up. "They have a lot of money, their lawyer is good, too good for a case like this." He sighed. "But all we need is facts, Marlene I did an extensive background search on you in case they tried to be smart." Marlene gulped. "Can you explain why you were arrested at seventeen?"

I looked at her in shock. I remembered her brother mentioning something like that before we started dating.

"Shoplifting a pair of sunglasses at the mall." I smiled teasing her for her petty crime making her roll her eyes.

"Okay great that was the only red flag I saw." It was quiet as we waited by the judge's door where there was another case going on in the courtroom. I looked around and noticed a few people with their children waiting as well. I also noticed a few fathers sitting alone, probably here for child support issues. The blue and green walls with pictures of families and animals couldn't make this place any less depressing.