Bonus: Top 10 Self-Titled Live Performances

Hey guys!

I thought I'd start the Self-Titled appreciation weekend with a list of my top ten live performances during the Self-Titled era. This era was the best Hayley has ever been, hitting her highest and lowest notes ever effortlessly. I narrowed down what I believe to be ten of her strongest performances, and believe me narrowing it down to just ten was incredibly hard. There are a couple honorable mentions as well. 

10) Miz Biz at Reading&Leeds

I might have picked this just because the dinosaur singing is my favorite Miz Biz performance. Really though, this was a great performance for Hayley, really energetic. The entire 2014 Reading&Leeds festival was amazing for Paramore as a whole.

9) Ain't It Fun: with the original choir

There are many live performances of Ain't It Fun to choose from, each special in their own way, I chose this one because it reunites us with the original choir, the amazing voices who brought us the song of summer 2014. Each and everyone of them are so ridiculously talented, they truly make this song what is, and reuniting for this performance was incredibly special.

8) The Only Exception at Reading&Leeds

Look, I like The Only Exception, I can't deny it. This was an especially good performance. The power had gone out onstage and the amps weren't working, instead of stopping the show Hayley decided to perform a totally acoustic/accapella version of The Only Exception with the fans. Towards the end of the song ten power comes back on and Justin, Aaron, and Jon unexpectedly join in, making for an epic ending to a usually very vanilla song. Another good moment is when a stage hand wanders on, tosses a coat on Hayley, and runs off. 

7) Renegade at Rock am Ring 2013

Those high notes! Seriously though, this might be the best performance of Renegade. HAYLEY opens this performance solo, with no instruments. Her voice could give anyone chills how she effortlessly belts out, visibly putting her all into the performance. Performances like these are what made me want to see Paramore live.

6) Decode at Red Rocks

Considered by many, myself included, to be the best live performance of Decode in existence, this performance is jaw dropping from start to finish. With her voice fully rested Hayley manages to perfectly hit every note in the song, something she struggled with for years. This performance is amazing, and I'm incredibly jealous of everyone who got to witness this in person.

5) Hallelujah: Parahoy 2 (second show)

The most emotional performance Hayley Williams has ever given of the classic Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, this performance personifies everything that was great about the second Parahoy. The entire festival was a battle cry, Paramore shouting that they wouldn't be defeated. It's interesting to hear Hayley passively say she doesn't remember the second Parahoy, you wouldn't think so the way she puts every ounce of her soul into this performance. This performance brings tears to my eyes, simply beautiful. 

4) Last Hope: Chicago 7/11/14

The closest we ever got to a music video for this amazing song, Last Hope live in Chicago is an amazing performance, even if it didn't include Hayley's speech. But I do highly reccomend looking up Hayley's speeches. Last Hope is my favorite Paramore song, the best Paramore song in my opinion. To this day I cry every time I hear this song, and when I finally got to hear it live in person I sobbed like baby. Listening to this, hearing Hayley's speech, I knew I was strong enough to over come anything. This song made me, and so many other people, finally realize that it's not hopeless, we can get through it. I never believed that any other time I heard it until I heard this song. If ypu feel hopeless please look a video of this song with Hayley's speech, it makes you feel a lot better. 

3) In The Morning/Landslide: Pomona 2012

Paramore's first official live performance as a trio during the Self-Titled Era, this emotional and heartfelt performance of one of their best songs is beautiful. Through sweat and tears Hayley fights to give a gut-wrenching performance. Stopping to thank the fans, and collect herself after beginning to tear up, you can truly see how grateful they are for the chance to start again. Shout out to the live debut of Hayley's baby bangs.

2) Let The Flames Begin/Oh Father/Part II: New York 6/24/14

Given that I've been bragging about getting to see this amazing medley at Monumentour in 2014 in Clarkston, I thought it'd only be right for me to find the best live video I could for those who couldn't be there. This was taken in New York at Monumentour (2014) and gives everyone who watches it a front row view to this spectacular performance. It gives me chills every time I watch it, and experiencing it live was something else, truly a one of a kind experience. I'll always hate myself for not filming at my show, thankfully this person did.

1) Future: Last time with Jeremy

A performance unlike any other, it's nothing but bittersweet. A powerful and moving performance, it's easy to see they thought this was only just the beginning. The whole band plays with everything they have, having no idea it's the last time they'd play together. Looking at them you can see the hope, the triumph in their eyes, and from where we stand now we can see the sadness, the anger, and the heartbreak.

Honorable Mentions:

Franklin at Writing The Future (Nashville)

Fences: Pomona 2012

So there they are! My personal top ten live performances of the Self-Titled era! Please feel free to share about the shows you went to during S/T if you did, or what your personal favorite live performances are. I'll see you guys soon with more S/T love! - H