Top 10 Self-Titled Songs

Hey guys!

It's hard to choose but in this post I'm gonna pick my top 10 songs from S/T. S/T is 20 songs including the 3 bonus tracks, but I'm gonna do my best to narrow it down to my favorites.

10. Anklebiters

This. Song. Is. Too. Underrated.

It's one of the most fun songs on S/T, it's a really good straight up rock song, and it has a positive message about not caring what people think about you, what's not to love?

9. Daydreaming 

This song was initially one of my least favorites on the record, but I think it was because at the time the lyrics didn't really relate to me. Now at thsi point in my life I want more than anything to branch out and go somewhere new, so I often find myself singing (crying) along to this song.

8. Grow Up

I always loved Grow Up because the whole song is just a big fuck you. Sometimes you realize how immature someone is and you know you need to get away from them in order for your sanity to survive, I've definitely been there before.

7. Be Alone

This was the only song I really felt was "old Paramore", like I could see this song on one of their more poppy records like Riot! or Brand New Eyes. It still has enough of a rock edge to it though. And I think what I like most about it is that it's a love song that doesn't really feel like a love song, when I'm listening to this I don't hear cheesy lovey dovey lyrics, it's a little more clever than that.

6. Tell Me It's Okay

"Tell me it's okay to he happy now!"

I definitely relate to this song. You go through so many shitty things in your life and you wonder is it my time now? Is it okay to be happy now? Are the tough times actually over? Is it okay to celebrate? Life is uncertain at best and I love that this song is a genuine question that I think most of us ask ourselves on a daily basis. 

5. Part II

So impactful, so well written. A sequel to LTFB easily could've turned into a stupid idea, but honestly I think this song is good enough to stand on it's own without being looked at as a sequel. Musically and lyrically it shows off an intensity and complexity we hadn't ever seen from Paramore before. This song has the ability to move you and make you feel invincible, and live it's even more amazing.

4. Escape Route 

Am I the only one who wonders how this song didn't get on the album? The lyrics of this song literally capture the whole mission statement of the S/T album

"We want new lives, we love to start over"

"It's not a question of who are we really, it's who we wanna be"

"Paid my dues and I tried to be loyal, now I'm done with all that"

This song sums up the feeling of pushing for change and a new direction, not just for a band but for anyone who feels like their stuck in a rut. Hayley really lets out all her emotions about moving on and the way she angrily growls adding punch to the lyrics is phenomenal.

3. Hate To See Your Heart Break

Such a tender, heartfelt tribute to struggling friend. The meaning behind this track really captures Hayley and Taylor's close friendship. Not to mention this is the best vocal track Hayley does on the record, her voice so mellow hitting so many perfect low notes that round out the sound of the song. This is another one of those songs you must see live before you die.

2. (One Of Those) Crazy Girls

Why wasn't this a single? This song was snubbed so hard! It's one of the most fun songs on the record, and it tells a great story. The fact that it tells a fictional story is actually better because it leaves the song open to be silly and fun. Every time I think of this song I think of sunset in L.A. and of how amazing the music video for this song would've been. So much wasted potential with this one *cough* FBR *cough*.

1. Last Hope

The best Paramore song period, in my opinion, this song has helped me through so much. I've gone through many hopeless times and hearing this song has always brought me back. When I listen to the song I feel that I have the power to overcome any obstacle. Musically it's complex and interesting with its slow build up and amazing crescendo. The lyrics bring tears to my eyes to this day because they speak directly to my heart. I feel the struggle, but this song reminds me that pain is only temporary. 

These are my top 10, what are your top 10? Tell me in the comments below and I'll see you guys on Friday. - H