I Don't Know If I Really Am Excited For Album #6

Yo

So this is just a thought/opinion post, if you don't like it I'll see you tomorrow on the new BNE post. Anyways, the title pretty much says it all.

I don't know if I'm excited for Paramore to make another album, or anymore after that. Of course new eras and the suspense and the mystery is always exciting, but I've been thinking recently if all that excitement outweighs being disappointed with the final product. I was really into the AL era before the record came out, you can go back and see the posts I made early on where I was like "so glad they're not gone! This album is gonna rock!" Obviously things were different after I heard the album though. 

So I've made it no secret I don't care for the artistic direction and some of the personal choices they've made this era. I don't like this faux-indie, style over substance trend, and that goes for the whole trend not just Paramore. The word "aesthetic(s)" makes me cringe. To me; when you start caring about how things look you're getting in the way of what's really important. I don't care what a song's music video looks like if it's a bad song, I like substance over style not the other way around. 

Something that made me think more about this was this tweet from Hayley:

I won't say this tweet bothered me necesarily as much as I was just surprised that people don't know the definition of indie, or at least what the definition used to be

Indie, as I've always known it, was a small group or person making something on their own, their own vision, it was grungy and not perfect and lo-fi, there was no large amount of money or assistance. Indie is literally short for independent.

Indie as it now seems to be defined, is all about looks and aesthetics and is very pretentious like people who watch indie films or listen to indie music are more cultured, and that's why I've grown to hate what I once loved. 

The idea of a group of rich white kids in their 20s with a lucrative record deal (aka Paramore) being indie: is so wrong according to the original definition of indie, but fits perfectly with the new one which isn't about independence it's just about looks. 

And it's a trend and everyone who buys into it doesn't realize they're being manipulated for profit. Marketing knows a bunch of teenagers who think they're better than people who like Lil Xan and Post Malone will go crazy for their artists carrying a Walkman and wearing vintage clothes. There are literally so many people doing it because they see it gets views and sells tickets and merch. That aesthetic (kill me) is very hot right now in the market. I'm sure there are people who do genuinely like those indie things, but there's also a lot of artists looking to make money.

And this "indie" direction Paramore are heading in, is really the first time they have cared about looks and being something. And I'm sorry if you think this is "bad" or "hating" or whatever, but yes I liked them better when they didn't care, I liked them better when they wore whatever and weren't trying to style themselves and be this indie band and look and sound a certain way. I miss when Paramore didn't give a fuck. I miss then throwing on jeans and a t-shirt without a second thought and playing music. I want the energy to all go towards the music, because looks don't matter if the musuc is subpar. Worrying about what you're wearing and trying look a certain way is a waste of time. 

If Paramore are going to continue to be "indie" I don't know how much I'm gonna like them. I fucking hate everything about current "indie" culture; it's so shallow, so stylized, and so pretentious. 

So if they keep just making AL over and over I don't think I'll be into it.