The Singles Club: 10/10

Hey guys!

A review today of the Singles Club, the EP Paramore released shortly after becoming a trio. You might notice I changed my original rating, and that's because the more I thought about it I realized there isn't really anything I dislike about the Singles Club, it's a pretty solid piece of work. Since there isn't anything I really dislike about the EP, and because it's only 4 songs, I'm going to speak about each song individually.

Renegade:

Renegade is one of the best fast paced Paramore songs in my opinion, and it's a crime that it isn't played more. For a long time Renegade was my favorite song, until I heard Last Hope when I heard S/T. It has some of the most complex lyrics Paramore have ever used (when compared to simpler songs like CrushCrushCrush). Hayley' so vocals are also great on the track, and when the bridge comes she hits some very impressive runs. The most legendary performance of this might be Rock am Ring 2013 when she starts off the song accapella and hits multiple high notes with a modified version of the chorus. 

Hello Cold World:

Another one of Paramore's best fast songs in my opinion, Hello Cold World has some of my favorite Paramore lyrics ever:

"Well maybe I'm not perfect, at least I'm working on it"

"It's not the way you plan it, it's how you make it happen"

"Girls and boys keep lining up to see if they can measure up

They look good, and they feel wild, but it will never be enough

You say you're really hurtin, at least you're feeling something

We can hope and we can pray that everything will work out fine

But you can't just stay down on your knees, the revolution is outside

You wanna make a difference, get out and go begin it

Whoa, get out and go begin it"

This song is so amazing and every time I hear it it amps me up and makes me want to make a difference, it's one of those great songs that can speak directly to your emotions. It's some of Hayley's most well written lyrics in my opinion. And of course we hve to talk about Taylor's incredible guitar solo in the bridge, proof he was more than good enough to take over after Josh left. 

Monster:

One of the most iconic Paramore songs now, Monster is another song that speaks to your emotions. Much like Ignorance, Monster is one of those songs that makes you angry at someone you don't even know. Another one of those songs that is criminally underplayed, on the rare occasions it has been played its made crowds lose their minds. It's one of the best songs musically in my opinion, especially Taylor's work on the drums, it's suprising but incredible. Monster also created one of the best and most iconic Paramore music videos. Paramore actually ran through real explosions in the video, it was very dangerous, but made for an amazing visual for an equally amazing song. 

In The Mourning:

One of Paramore's best songs period, In The Mourning was a heartfelt goodbye to one era and the start of another. One of the most raw, emotional songs they've ever relaeased, the lyrics come straight from Hayley's heart and hit hard. This song was a staple for many years, being played acoustically at almost every show, and to this day is a highly regarded fan favorite. Somewhere along the line Paramore began incorporating a section of Fleetwood Mac's signature song Landslide into the bridge of the song. The mashup worked perfectly, as both songs are bittersweet goodbyes to youth and past relationships. The perfect goodbye to the past, this song carries a heavy emotional weight matched only by few other songs. Its very sad that the song was cut from the setlist this era, because I'll never get tired of the emotional, heartfelt performances of this song, and I don't think I'm alone on saying that. 

My review of the Singles Club! It's some of Paramore's best work in my opinion. Tell me what you think of the Singles Club, and what your favorite Sinlges Club song is, in the comments. I'll see you guys next Tuesday! - H