Walkways: 9.5/10

Hey guys!

Today I'm reviewing Walkways by Farro! And yes the rating is different from the upload schedule. The rating I gave while planning out the schedule was the initial rating I had after hearing the album a couple times in 2016 when it came out. Listening to Walkways while preparing for this review I really loved and related to this album a lot more than I did in the past. To me this is almost a perfect album, there's just one song that's not really working for me. 

Please! I urge you to clear your mind of whatever preconceived notion you have of Josh Farro. People say all the time that they can't separate the artist from the music, personally I can. A lot of my favorite musical artists have said and done things I disagreed with, but I still appreciate their talent. I used to dislike SZA for some comments she made, and while I'm still not the biggest fan of hers I've learned to let go of what I held against her. So please, let go of all your previous thoughts of Josh, and just give this album a chance, because it's amazing.

Things I Like:

Vocals -

I really was surprised at well Josh Farro could sing on his own. We've heard snippets of his backing vocals in Paramore, but never just Josh's voice alone. And to be honest, he sounds really good. I hate seeing comments from angry Paramore fans saying he's not as good as Zac or he can't sing, so I want to put this clip of a completely acoustic performance in here, and I want you guys to please listen to at least the first 30 seconds. The song in the video is called On A Wire.

Lyrics -

Josh Farro is an incredibly talented lyricist, that goes without saying twice. Some of the lyrics on this album are so catchy, and heartfelt, it's really really great. I think a lot of people second guess how much he contributed to Paramore because he was writing with Hayley, but he really hold his own here. I wanna highlight a couple lyrics I love:

"I've got you on my mind like a symphony of melodies that climb"

"I've got to make you see, 'cause every time I shut my eyes you're staring back at me"

Those are lyrics from the verses of Color Rush, which is probably the most like radio friendly song, and I find these two lines to be super catchy.

"A glass of wine, a medication for the past

The hands of time, can't turn around can't take it back"

This is my favorite lyric of the whole album. As a person who once self-medicated this lyric hits me hard, and it's so beautifully written. 

Music -

As well as being a great lyricist, Josh Farro was also always an amazing composer, which once again lends itself to this album being amazing. When I first heard Color Rush I got really excited because it immediately reminded me of one of my favorite bands of all time; Arcade Fire (pro tip: listen to Arcade Fire). Before being a hipster was cool and trendy I kind of had my own hipster tendencies already; loved flannel, collected records, listened to bands like Arcade Fire and Blonde Tongues (pro tip: LISTEN TO BLONDE TONGUES). But anyways, yeah this has a really kind of similar feel to bands like those, but not in a way that makes me roll my eyes like Paramore and HalfNoise do. The music is reminiscent of indie music, but there's no bullshit aesthetic or other gimmicks, it's just pure good music. Josh doesn't have to quote Wes Anderson daily or claim he was born in th wrong generation, he made good, honest, heartfelt music without that, I wish all indie musicians were more like Josh Farro. The music really sells the emotions of some songs like Home and Dear Love. Musically there are a lot of acoustic elements, but he manages to use them differently on each song. 

Things I Dislike:

Cliffs

Cliffs is the first song on the record, and really the only song I can't really see myself listening to, it's pretty cheesy lyrically, just a run of the mill inspirational song. It sounds pretty generic compared to the rest of the songs.

Favorite Track(s):  

On A Wire:

My favorite song lyrically, amazing!

Color Rush:

So catchy, it's stuck in my head right now!

Islands:

Really good song to fall asleep/relax too.

Least Favorite Track(s):

Cliffs:

So cheesy🍕.

That's my review of Walkways! Please leave me a comment telling me what you think of the album and of FARRO. I'll see you guys next Tuesday! - H