Chapter 5

Chapter 5

On Monday morning I set an alarm on my phone -thanks to Mrs. Sharpe- for 4:30. I have no idea when the boys will leave or when breakfast is so I get up extra early just in case. I know school starts at 7:20, but I don't know how far away it is, either.

I shower and change into some of the clothes Mrs. Sharpe bought me, just some too snug jeans and a t-shirt with some brand name on it. I want to fit in as much as possible, or really just blend into the rest of the school so I hope my outfit will help. Mrs. Sharpe also got me a backpack, with I assume supplies in it, but I haven't looked at it.

I'm ready by 6:00, which is both good and bad. It gives me time to prepare, but also time to overthink everything that could go wrong today. I know I'll be in the same classroom all day with at most five other people, but I still have to get through hundreds, maybe thousands of people to that classroom.

And what about the drive there? Tyler's driving and I remember reading that most car crashes occur among 16-19 year olds. What if he drives too fast? What if he hurts me when no one's looking?

At a little after 6:30, someone knocks on my door, which means I've been thinking of everything that could possibly go wrong for the last 30 minutes. Mrs. Sharpe enters before I could open the door for her and smiles widely when she sees me ready for school.

"Breakfast is ready," she informs me. I grab my backpack and put my surgical mask in one of the pockets. I really don't want to wear it, but I'd honestly rather be made fun of than get a deadly disease. I think. "The boys usually leave at 7."

I don't miss the fact that boys was plural, which I can't tell if it makes me feel better or worse. I notice Mrs. Sharpe grab my phone on my desk, which I truly did forget about, and tuck it into my backpack.

"Just in case." She smiles. I worry that she thinks I forgot it on purpose, but I don't have time to explain as she exits my room. I follow her down the halls and into the dining room, where only four boys are seated.

I feel a little better now that there's not so many people, but it reminds me that I won't be able to handle today. I'll be lucky if I make it to the school alive.

"Good morning," someone greets. I'm unsure if it's for me, though, so I don't respond and sit down in a seat furthest from everyone.

"You have all the paperwork I gave you?" Mrs. Sharpe asks, sitting in a seat across from me. I nod my head, knowing she is about to give me the same speech she gave me for the last three nights. "Make sure you give it to your teachers. I think you'll have two in there. Right now there's only four kids in the classroom, so you'll be alright."

So easy for her to say.

"Except that the class is for delinquents." Someone snickers.

I must look as startled as I feel because Mrs. Sharpe shakes her head, immediately correcting her son. "It's a classroom for children who have difficulty being in mainstream classes. It's not always bad behavior that gets them put in there."

"Okay, mom."

She ignores the sarcastic comment and continues her speech. "Kyle will take you there because his class is closest and Josh will pick you up. Tyler will be driving you all home today, but if anything does change, you have their numbers in your phone. I put money in your bag for lunch. You'll go to lunch before everyone else though, so there won't be a crowd."

I know she's trying to assure me, but all my mind is doing is finding what could go wrong in everything she said.

"I'll have my phone on me all day if you need me, okay? I'm sure the teachers will let you call me, too."