twenty seven

ALEXA'S POV

THE AIR WAS BRISK, as I'm awoken by somebody. What just happened? Was that all a dream? My mind is rushing with thoughts as I look at my surroundings, realizing I'm still in Todd's hospital room. Scott and Todd were chatting but nobody had seemed to wake me up. I look to my right and see Leah, which makes me confused. "Were you the one that woke me up?" I ask her looking towards her direction. 

"Yeah, sorry. You fell asleep last night and it's ten in the morning," she responds tuning back into the conversation Todd and Scott were having. I had a slight headache and the light from the open window made my eyes hurt. Instead of getting up I stayed in the chair, closing my eyes shielding it from the light. I listened to their voices while sitting quietly, trying not to fall asleep again.

"So has David said anything to his fans yet?"

"No he hasn't personally, but Alex or Alexa did."

"Probably Alexa, Alex isn't the biggest fan of David anymore.."

"What do you mean?"

The voice I identified as Todds lowers, since they know I'm halfway into sleeping. "Ever since this whole accident happened Alexa has been spending a lot of time with David. Alex is jealous and skeptical, he told me." There was a pause, why would Alex think that? Does he not trust me? "David still has feelings for Alexa and Alex is afraid that if they spend more time together she'll forget about him, even though they're dating. He's scared that he'll be hurt again by her and the same thing will happen over again, when David wins."

"Does that mean he's going to break up with her?"

"Yes."

The words made my breath hitch. Alex was going to break up with me. Maybe I should breakup with him first to save the extra drama. There really isn't a way to get around this, since he's already told Todd. Why wouldn't Todd tell me? Why did he feel the need to keep it a secret? Even though this whole thing wasn't planned, it felt like this was what it would've been anyways. That's why Alex has been distant lately, he doesn't trust me.

✽✽✽

I've been sitting there with my eyes closed for the past twenty minutes since Todd told them all that Alex was going to breakup with me. There was less words spoken and I guessed that they were all on their phones. I couldn't just wait for Alex to come find me, I had to find him. We could fix this, we could make this right. 

Slowly I opened my eyes, revealing the bright light of outside once again. Just like I had guessed they were all on their phones, which I rolled my eyes at. "Oh hey! You're awake again," Todd smiles at me and pull my lips up to form a soft smile. He looks confused by my answer since I'm not excited about being up, since I'm a morning person. His mouth opens but then quickly closes, signalling that he was about to tell me something but decided not to. I shake my head and let my hair down, shaking it out. 

Without a word I stand up exiting the small room into the bleak hallway. I had to find Alex, we had to figure this out now before my mind swirls into different thoughts. The sound of my checkered vans made small thumping noises as I walked, making the hallway less silent. Surprisingly there was no nurses, probably attending to other patients on a different floor.

Hopefully Alex was in the lobby like usual, waiting with everyone else. My phone was at 2% but I felt it vibrate, so I took it out of my pocket. There was a text message from Matt. 

✽✽✽

matt: hey we're going out to eat do you wanna come?

me: is alex going?

matt: yes, do you wanna go ??

me: sure.

✽✽✽

I regret saying yes to go out to lunch, or brunch, or whatever we're doing. How would Alex act? He doesn't know that I know, that's going to make such an awkward tension. What if he still acts the same? What if he tries to kiss me or hold my hand? Theres no point to even try to fix things if I already know the answer. Todd already spilled that he's afraid of getting hurt again, but why would he hurt me by breaking up? There was no logic to this, and there was no real reason to break up. I'm not cheating on Alex with David, and that's the truth.

While I was thinking I ran into the door leading to the stairs, making me stumble. I didn't take a huge fall or anything, just banged my head on the wall. Typical. After getting in a fight with the door I swung it open, revealing the stairs. Todd's floor was two heights up, so I thought I would just take the stairs and get some exercise. For the past week or so all I've been doing is sitting, and the only time I walk is to someone's room. 

It felt good walking down the stairs, even though it was short lasting. My feet echoed through the stairwell, which went all the way up to the twelfth floor. Once I reached the ground floor, I shut off my phone to prevent it from dying and exited the cold stairwell. There I found everyone crowded around in a circle, Alex and I making contact quickly.

I probably looked horrible, my hair hasn't been washed and my makeup was non-existent. The only good thing about my face right now was how clear it was, which confused me since I've been super stressed lately. 

The brunette-haired boy snapped me out of my thoughts as he started walking towards me, making my breath hitch. Would he tell me now in front of everyone? I hope not. 

"Hey, you ready?" He asks sticking out his hand for me to grab.

✽✽✽

WORD COUNT: 1009

Hey guys! Thank you for reading and especially for 1K reads! That's crazy. Anyways I'm sorry for not uploading an actual chapter in so long, I've just had no motivation. Also, I run track for my school and have other sports/activites to attend to. But thank you for still reading and letting me take my time. Love u all xoxo -a