twenty nine

❋❋❋

ALEXA's POV

THERE SHE SAT, HER BLUE EYES looking back at the four of us. She was still alive, and I'm so grateful for that. There was doctors and nurses crowded around her and she looked overwhelmed but happy. Seeing her familiar face was comforting, knowing that she's okay. "What if she doesn't know who we are?" Todd asks curiously looking into the small window that separated Laura from us.

"Shut up Todd, she'll know who we are. At least you and Alexa." Scott replies looking at the worried boy. Todd just nods and looks back at Laura, smiling widely. She looked the same, except a bit more paler and her bright eyes were duller, but that would be fixed by time. Everything takes time.

We all stand there in the highly air conditioned hallway, waiting to see her. There was no sign of a doctor letting us in any time soon, so I sit down across from Scott and Leah, watching them lay their heads on each other. We watch them bring her medicine and yogurt, along with small amounts of water. They told each other to keep to soft foods, and things that are easy on the stomach. Todd watches over all these exchanges and I smile, he's so protecting of her. I check my phone and see the time, 8:00 PM. We've been here for basically the whole day, and haven't been able to see her.

By this time Scott and Leah were near sleep, still laying on each other. They were sharing earbuds and Scott seemed completely out. I chuckle at his small snores, distracting us all from the commotion still coming from Laura's room. But then, a short brunette doctor turns towards us and starts to talk. "You guys can see her tomorrow, I promise. She's very tired and overwhelmed about the whole situation but I bet she'll be happy to see you in the morning."

Todd's facial expression falls but nods, making his way down the hall. I quickly pat awake Scott and Leah, while we scramble to catch up to Todd's quick pace. We all make our way to the familiar lobby, and I sit down in my usual seat. I cant help but notice the empty seat next to me, that would usually be filled by Alex who was no where to be found. I don't blame him though, I wouldn't want to see me either. Another thing I notice is that nobody from our group is here anymore, they've seen to gone home. I'm not mad at them though, most of them barely know Laura and David was almost fully recovered.

Like usual I situate myself on two seats facing the door trying to get comfortable. Before I drift off to sleep I look to my right and see everyone asleep but Todd, who's scrolling through something on his phone. My eyes gently close and I let myself fall asleep knowing I can see my best friend tomorrow.

❋❋❋

NEXT DAY ALEXA's POV

Someone is slightly shaking me, awakening me from my well needed hours of sleep. My vision becomes more clear and I see that it's Leah, who's wearing Scott's black Gothic Mochas hoodie. Once she sees that I'm awake, she moves towards Scott and Todd gently waking them up the same way. Scott smiles at her and kisses her on the forehead while Todd shoots up. "They said we can see her whenever we'd like, it's 10 AM." Leah says looking at Todd's expression, giggling slightly. My heart skips a beat, analyzing the words that she just spoke. Laura is clear. We can see her. I don't wait for anyone and quickly arise, practically running for the stairs.

They lead me up and my legs feel numb as I retrace my steps towards her room. I cant see her from the small window now since there was curtains covering it. For some reason they never let us see her while she was in a coma and never explained why, but that didn't matter now. I turn the doorknob slowly, and see her propped up against pillows watching something on TV. Her eyes snap towards me and I feel mine instantly start watering by just looking at her. "Holy shit," she mumbles looking at me.

I run towards her, my body colliding into her fragile one. My arms wrap around her tightly, while she does the same. Her hair was less blonde but still smelled the same, and she still had that familiar feeling to her. I didn't want to let go, she was here. She was okay. Her small arms hug me even tighter, and I can feel tears running down my cheeks.

We finally pull back and look at each other, and holding each other closely again. "I'm so fucking happy to have you back, so much has happened and I've been so lost without your guidance. You're literally the only person who can keep me sane at times and you weren't with me. Being without you for two weeks have been absolute chaos and I never realized how much I need you," I say quietly.

She lets another tear roll down her cheek and breaths in saying, "Thank you for waiting for me. I'm so grateful for you and I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when you needed me. I love you so much." Then as if on queue, Todd bursts into the room lunging towards us. He smiles like a dork and Laura lets go of me, embracing Todd. He plants a light kiss on her head and they stay like this for a couple more seconds, making the warmth come to my cheeks again. The small tear comes out from the corner of my eye and Laura sees this, "Why are you crying? You have Alex." She says frowning at me. Fuck, she doesn't know about Alex and I, neither does Todd even though he technically does.

"Yeah um about that, we broke up yesterday"

❋❋❋

WORD COUNT: 1,064

hello! I'm back. I feel like I post a chapter & then die for another two weeks, sorry. I've been trying to pre-write a bunch of my chapters when I have time so you guys don't have to wait but it hasn't worked out so well. But I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter & expect another very soon. Love u, a. 🌷🌷