Chapter 2: New Job

Timeskip: Landing (Your POV)

As the chopper landed I looked over at Grim. I did feel a bit guilty about making him so pissed but he should learn to just trust me, sometimes I actually do have a clue what I'm doing. As we exit the helicopter I see two US Army officials waiting for our squad to take us back to the command tent for a mission report. "Congratulations on a mission success squad, if you would please follow us we'll take you to the commander for a report of your mission." The two men began walking with me and my squad following behind them towards the command tent, they stopped outside and held the flaps open for us to enter. Once we entered we all sat down and the General turned around to face us, a somewhat angry expression on his face. "So. Anybody want to explain to me what happened?" Next to me, Wave cleared his throat answered for all of us. "Simple. We disabled the power, eliminated any opposition, rescued the US soldiers and the civilians without any of them being harmed. There shouldn't be a problem." Once Wave had finished, both Grim and the General looked at me with narrowed eyes. "That's the most of it, sir. What Wave left out was the part where Ghost disobeyed a direct order from his superior yet again. One of these days it's going to compromise the squad and possibly get us all killed." The General sighed and sat down across from us. "I'm aware of what happened Grim. While I'm not impressed with Ghost's actions he still completed the mission and from what I heard he also saved your life. Please, correct me if I'm wrong." Grim opened his mouth to speak and closed it again before staring off into space, unable to make eye contact with any of us. "You're not wrong, sir. I just think that every once in awhile he should listen to me instead of doing what he wants, despite how many times his way has worked. I'd like to be able to actually lead my squad for once though." The General reached behind him and took out 4 letters and passed one to each of us. "I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this was your last mission together as a squad. Every one of you is being transferred to new units or organizations. Everything is explained in the letters. Pack your bags, you leave at 0900 tomorrow morning. Dismissed." We all stood up and left the tent looking at each other and the letters in our hands. Wolf sighed while he opened his letter, his eyes widening once he'd began reading. "Are you fucking kidding me? I'm going to the FBI? What use am I going to be there?" We all looked at him and shrugged before opening our envelopes, excited and nervous to see where we'd be transferred to. Wave smiled before jumping into the air, punching the sky as he did so. "Woohoo! I'm going to the Navy SEALS! Man, this is gonna be so cool!" Grim and I looked at each other nervously before trading our letters. "Grim is going to, wow holy shit. Apparently, you're going down to Afghanistan and being promoted to a fucking Captain. Damn, congrats Grim!" I patted him on the back as he snatched the letter from me and stared at it in shock. "You weren't joking. I'm being promoted to a Captain. Wow. Anyway, Ghost's new unit is...Oh my god. (Y/N) is going to Team Rainbow. (Y/N) IS GOING TO BECOME AN OPERATOR IN TEAM RAINBOW!" Wave and Wolf both smiled in shock before picking me up and placing me on top of their shoulders, shoving passing soldiers out of the way as they walked back to our quarters. "Out the way people, Rainbow operator coming through!" For the first time in a while, I was actually smiling. Watching my squad- my friends shoving people out the way and treating me like I was some sort of king made me smile and laugh before they let me down outside of our room. We all walked inside and kept on talking about our new, amazing jobs. We did give Wolf our condolences though, he deserved better than the FBI by a long shot. Once I finished packing, I lay down on my bed and looked at the letter in my hands. Team Rainbow. The most elite members of military units from across the world, and I was becoming one of them.  I slowly put the letter down on my nightstand and looked at my friends I would soon be leaving behind. Chris "Wolf" Raynard, Alex "Wave" Hawthorne and Lucas "Grim" Edwards. These guys were more than my friends, they were my family. I don't know how I can leave this all behind, but I don't have much of a choice. As we exchange our goodnights, with Chris still grumbling about being transferred to the FBI, we all slowly drifted off to sleep.

Timeskip: The next morning (Your POV)

I hear my alarm clock going off next to my head and instantly pick it up and throw it in a random direction, missing Lucas' head by a few inches. He looked at me as I looked between him and the alarm clock which lay in pieces on the floor at his feet. "...Sorry." I got out of bed and began clearing up the fractured clock with Lucas slightly smiling and shaking his head at me. "As much as I hate to admit it. I'm going to miss you (Y/N). I've gotten used to you breaking at least one clock a week and complaining about the food here." I laugh and put the pieces of the clock into the bin next to the bathroom door. "Yeah, I'm gonna miss your constant bitching about me not following orders. Guess I can annoy some new hardasses with me ignoring them." As I finish speaking, the door to our quarters opens to reveal a recruit holding a clipboard. "Ghost, you're going to head to landing area 3 while Grim is going to area 7. Be there within the next 5 minutes." Me and Grim nod at the recruit and pick up our duffel bags full of our possessions and begin walking towards the landing areas in silence. As we pass by area 3 we both come to a halt, looking at each other. "(Y/N), do me a favour and don't die ok? Because if you die, I'm gonna kill you in the afterlife. Got it?" I give him a nod and smile at him. "Sir yes, sir." We hug each other before saluting and he began walking towards area 7, nodding at Wolf and Wave who looked towards me and nodded while waving, with me returning the wave. Once I finished waving, a helicopter lands next to me with a stern-looking SAS member carrying a sledgehammer opening the door and walking towards me. He holds out his hand which I grasp and give a firm shake. "My name is Seamus Cowden, but you can call me Sledge. I presume you're Ghost?" I don't respond but just give him a simple nod in return. He turns and begins walking towards the helicopter and holds the door open for me, I get in and sit down and Sledge sits across from me. The chopper begins to ascend seconds later. "You might want to get some sleep, it's a long ride back to Hereford from here, lad." I nod and lean my head back, drifting off to sleep.