Chapter 29: Operation Blackjack (Part 2) FINALE

15 Minutes Later (Your POV)

Well, I'll call that meeting a success. Everyone I pass is gearing up for either defending the base or attacking another one, although one conversation does cause me to stop and peer into someone's room, Echo's to be exact. Sneaking my head around the door, I see Echo and Ying sat on the sofa looking at each other with smiles. "Masaru, are you sure you want to? With our line of work, it isn't the safest idea and we didn't do well as a couple in the past either so what makes you sure it will this time?" Echo leans back and rubs his face with a solemn look before returning his gaze to Ying. "I don't have all the answers, Siu. The best thing we can do is try our best. Last time failed because neither of us put in the effort and we were both too worried about going into the field which really affected our jobs. I just want to make it work." After saying this, Echo takes hold of Ying's hand and gives her a loving smile. From out of nowhere, I feel breathing down my neck and turn to see Phoenix, Grim and Wrench all standing there with raised eyebrows, in Wrench's case an emoticon of one on his mask. "What you doing, you pervert?" Scoffing at Wrench, I turn back towards the door before answering. "Watching Echo romance the fuck out of Ying." Phoenix chuckles quietly before pulling me aside and the three of us walk away from the weeb's room. "Leave them in peace then, you know Echo would do the same for you. After watching for 10 minutes then tormenting you for days about it. Maybe I should let you carry on now that I think about it." The three of them bid me their goodbyes as they turn down another corridor, leaving me alone with my thoughts as I walk aimlessly towards my room and bump into Ela on the way. "Hey, (Y/N)! Mind if I walk with you?" Nodding at the energetic Polish girl, she gives off an excited squeak and skips alongside me towards my room. "You seem rather energetic today, any reason why?" Ela simply shakes her had while humming to herself with a small smile plastered on her face, leaving us in a comfortable silence. After a few minutes, we get to my room and open it to find Frost laying on the bed in her gear and flipping through a weapons catalogue with a bored expression, until she sees me and then instantly beams at me. "Hey! I've been waiting here for 10 minutes now, you sure took your time." Ela walks past me and flops onto the bed next to Frost and the two begin talking. I just tune the two of them out and pull my weapons case out from underneath my bed, grabbing the attention of the two women on top of the bed. "So, you're really going through with this?  Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, it just doesn't seem like it's actually happening. We've been fighting these guys for three years and now that we're taking them down it feels like I'm dreaming." I began placing the weapons on the bed and one weapon seemed to gain their attention. Frost picks up a sheathed knife and inspects it before pulling it from the sheath to reveal a blackened steel blade with golden baroque style engravings on it. "What does the AM engraving on the handle mean?" Taking the knife from Frost, I carefully replace it in the sheath before setting it down back into the case. "No clue. Found it during a mission in the US a couple years back all covered in mud and crap. Took it to a historian and he reckons it was owned by some sort of outlaw from the late 19th century or early 20th judging by the engravings." Ela whistles in surprise as I change into the combat gear and pull down my signature balaclava. The two women give me bone-crushing hugs as I'm about to leave, Frost including a kiss in hers. Ela clears her throat, causing me to look at her with a raised eyebrow. "You still got my dog tags?" Pulling them out from under the armour to show Ela, she gives me a warm smile. "I expect you to give them back once you return, deal?" Nodding at her, I wave at the two and walk off down the corridor, bumping into Twitch, Blitz and Sledge on the way. The four of us chat happily to the landing pads where multiple choppers were waiting to take us towards our final mission. Just as I'm about to get onto the chopper, Wrench, Marcus and my old squad jog up behind me while panting and covering their ears. Grim stands right next to me and begins yelling down my ear "Hey, where should we go?" Tapping my chin in thought, I answer after a moment. "I want you to take Wolf and Wave and clear out the warehouse to save time and act as floor sweepers. Marcus, Wrench, I want you two to go with The Remnants and make sure to use some of Wrench's experimental weapons, the lethal ones specifically. Keep a laptop with you so you can kill the power if and when we need you to." All of them nod and head to their separate choppers as I climb into mine and see my squad. "Let's do this. Pilot, get us going." The pilot gives me a thumbs up and lets the other pilots know that we're taking off, beginning the ascent while doing so. This is the night it all ends.