Chapter 12: Operation Hope (Part 1)

Your POV

As I walked down the hallway to Six's office, Lion and I bumped into each outside of Six's office and just stood there for a few seconds before I held my hand out. "Listen, this is just stupid. We're meant to be a team and this isn't how a team behaves. Sorry for punching you earlier." Lion sighs before extending his own hand and shakes mine with a slight smile. "It's fine, I had it coming. I'll apologise to Thatcher later. We should get going before Six get's even more mad at us." We share a laugh and push open the door to Six's office. She looks up from a folder and gives us both a stern look and was about to speak before Lion held up a hand, confusing Six. "It's fine, we've already made up." She smiled at us before sliding the folder over to me, confusing me and Lion. I open the folder to see a map of Montana with a big red X drawn inside of a circle labelled: "Hope County, why are we going down there?" I handed the folder to Lion who began to flip through the pages before his eyes widened at me. "There's a nuclear bomb, and it's our job to defuse it? Six, this is fucking crazy! How are we meant to-" Six held up her hand to silence us and grabbed the microphone to the intercom system. "All operators report to the briefing room right now, thank you." All three of us stood up and walked to the briefing room in silence. We opened the door and sat down, seeing every other operator already here. "Good morning. Now, I know some of you will be wondering why you're all here." Six was met with nods and yawns from many of the operators, even an electric toothbrush from Dokkaebi. Once she realised that we were all looking at her, she turned off the toothbrush and swallowed what was in her mouth, causing me and some other operators cringe in disgust. Six sighed in frustration before tapping a button and a projector came to life with the same map from the folder. "Ok, short version: There's a nuclear bomb in Hope County, go defuse it before it goes off in 24 hours, don't die, who's going?" Everyone was shuffling uncomfortably before looking at me, seeing my hand in the air. "I'm going. Mike, you're EMP 'nades may come in handy. Taina, you'll come in handy should we need some extra info. Jordan, big fucking holes, enough said. Monika, they're probably gonna have more explosives so you're a must have. You guys got any problems?" Only Jordan raised his hand. "Yeah, how much explosives should I bring?" Most of us laughed while the rest had a concerned look while looking over at him. "As much as you want buddy, just don't go and make another nuclear bomb though." Six cleared her throat before handing the folder to me. "Everything you need to know is in there, good luck people. You'll need it. Dismissed." I grabbed Lion on our way out and handed him a folded piece of paper, causing him to raise an eyebrow at him. "What's this?" I open the piece of paper to show him schematics for a gadget. "Can you make this for me while I'm gone? It's just an idea I thought of using." Lion took the piece of paper and looked it over before nodding at me with a determined look and walked off towards the armoury. I began walking back to my own dorm and bumped into Ash on the way. "Hey Ghost, you nervous?" I laugh at her question while she gives me a questioning look. "I'm not nervous, I'm absolutely fucking terrified." She laughed before placing a hand on my shoulder. "You'll do just fine, you're too good at this to die. Besides, if you do die then I'll kill you in the afterlife." We share a laugh as I open my door and both of us walk in to see Ela rummaging through my things, making me and Ash look at each other unsure of what to do. "Um, Ela. What are you doing?" Her head perked up as she hid something behind her back and turned to face us. "Nothing!" I narrow my eyes at Ela and walk closer towards her. "Ela, what are you hiding behind your back?" All the colour drained from her face as I walked closer to her. "N-Nothing...." I sighed and began to tickle her ribs, making her laugh and drop what she was holding with a metallic clunk. Once she realised what had happened, she tried to stop herself from laughing and reach for whatever she had dropped. I slid my hand between her legs and grabbed it off the ground while she tried to grab it out of my hand. Eventually, Ela stopped trying to reach for it and sighed while looking down at the ground. "They're my dog tags. I wanted it to be a surprise." I raised my eyebrow at her as she looked up at me with a red tint on her face. "Ela, why are you giving these to me?" Ela held my hand and turned the tags over, revealing an inscription etched onto the back of them. I looked at the inscription which read: 'Come back safe (Y/N)'  before looking up at Ela and hugging her. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. But, thanks, Ela. This means a lot to me that you'd go through the trouble to do something nice for me." The Polish woman smiled as she returned the hug with an iron grip, almost crushing my ribs. Once she let go, she gave me a kiss on the cheek and walked out. Ash gave her a glare, which Ela returned with a smirk as she closed the door behind her. I placed the tags around my neck and began to collect my weapons, Ash hugged me from behind and started rubbing the inside of my leg while kissing my neck. "Eliza, what the hell are you doing?" I could feel her breath on my ear as she was beginning to rub higher up my leg, almost dangerously close to...something. "Come on, I can show you why they call me thicc. You know you want to~." I grab her hands and remove them from my legs while she pouts at me while blushing. I grab my Deagle and place it in my holster while Eliza sits down on my bed with a sad look before flopping into my pillow. I sit down on the bed next to her and gently rub her head while she begins to sniffle. "Eliza, it's nothing to do with you if you're wondering. I just don't think a relationship in this line of work is a good idea, it gives our enemies more ways to hurt us if something happens. Look, if I decide to leave within the next year then I'll give it a shot, ok?" Ash raised her head from the pillow before pinning me down and sitting on top of me while hugging me and burying her head in my stomach, still sniffling. Once the sniffling had stopped, Ash looked at me and drew her head closer to mine before kissing me. We parted after a few seconds and she stood up with a smile and left my dorm. In the corner of the room, I could see a faint blue light and felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. It was a text from Valkyrie, so that blue light must be one of her Black Eye cameras. Oh shit. I open the text and read it. 'So, you don't say anything like that to me when you know how I feel but you say that to her? Fuck you, I give up. Good luck on your mission "Friend". I walk over to the black eye camera and kneel down in front of it while looking straight into the lens. "Meghan, I'm not definitely going with Eliza. It's a year for god sake, I may find someone else in team Rainbow or just a normal person. Who knows, might even be you." After I said that, the camera turned off and my phone buzzed again. This time, it was a picture of Valkyrie lifting up her shirt to reveal her...assets with a caption: 'Come back safe and I promise that you'll get a reward  that'll make all the pain and stress worth it, you'll see what I'm capable of behind closed doors you handsome beast~' I begin to blush while looking at the picture on my phone and slowly turn off the screen while smiling at the Black Eye as I walk out and close the door behind me.