The Making Of... - Chapter 43 - Dangerous Toasters

The Making of…

Chapter 43

Dangerous Toasters

I hadn’t closed my curtains last night. That was probably why I was woken up by the bright morning sunlight. I yawned and rolled over so my face was resting on the cool part of the pillow – although I moved back to my original position once I realised that the button of my jeans was digging into my stomach. Wait… My jeans? I must have fallen asleep in them last night. I sat up and tousled my hair sleepily, staring down at the clothes I had been wearing yesterday.

Yesterday… My brain rifled through the events of the previous evening – like it was shuffling though a pack of cards filled with my memories – and I smiled. I must have dozed off in the early hours of the morning, after Viggo and I had stayed up late talking. Reaching over to my bedside table, I picked up my phone and dialled the familiar number, pressing the receiver to my ear as I kicked the duvet off my legs.

“Good morning Sleeping Beauty.” Viggo’s cheerful voice answered after only two rings.

“Mornin’” I smiled, “Quick question; where are you?”

“My trailer.” He answered as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Why are you there?”

“Because this is kind of where I live.” I could hear the smile in his voice as I hopped out of bed.

Yeah, I know that, my point is why aren’t you here?” I asked, holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder as I made my bed.

“Because I don’t live in your trailer.”

“Don’t be a smart ass.” I scolded him.

“Well, you fell asleep last night – like always – so I went back to my trailer.” He explained, and I thought I could hear him pouring cereal into a bowl in the background.

“You could have stayed.” I told him as I jammed a couple of pieces of bread into the toaster.

“I didn’t want to overstay my welcome.” His simple reply made me smile a little as I raided the fridge and pulled out a carton of orange juice.

“As if you could.” I smirked.

“I sense that you’re not pleased with the fact that I’m not there making you breakfast – am I right?” He said in a laughing tone as I rolled my eyes.

“Yes, I’m scared of the toaster, please come save me.” I replied sarcastically, switching the phone to my other ear as I poured myself a glass of juice.

“You want me to come over and I’m not even changed.” He muttered.

“Do you really think I mind?”

“No, but other people walking past might.” He sighed as I stuck out my lower lip – making a show even though he wasn’t standing in front of me. “Tell the toaster I’ll be over in a few minutes.”

“It’s ok, I think I killed it.” I grumbled as the substance- previously-known-as-bread-but-was-now-toast popped out of the toaster whilst Viggo laughed.

“See you in a bit.” He said, “Love you.”

“Love you too.” I smiled – all hints of joking gone from my voice as my heart fluttered a little. The line went dead and I tossed my phone onto the sofa as I buttered a piece of toast and jammed it into my mouth, holding it in my teeth as I went to turn on the shower. I was glad we had today off – I wasn’t sure if I’d have been able to concentrate on filming right now!