Chapter 10- A Test Of Love

***Jackson's point of view***

I walked away, trying not to let any emotion show on my face. I had been fighting with Marisa a lot lately, and I just needed a brake.

She always had to mock me and use her powers on me. I didn't think she would do anything mean when I teased her about Michael. I hadn't meant it that way.

"Jackson!" A newly familiar voice yelled. I tried to hide my smile as Rose ran to me. She cared enough about me to come and see if I was okay.

I know I sounded shallow, but the moment I saw her all small and venerable when that guy caught her, I knew I liked her. And its had been beating me up inside since.

"Jackson? Are you okay?" I turned around. Her cheeks were red from running down the hill. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just, needed to go."

It was true. I had needed to go after I was insulted by Marisa. "You're obviously not okay! I can see it in your face. I have a little brother, I know a bad hiding-sadness-look when I see one." She said.

I smiled. "Okay, you got me facial expression police! Sorry for the mistake, I'll do better at hiding my feelings next time." Rose smiled too.

She came closer, obviously nervous to be alone with me. The pulse in her throat was beating rapidly. She put her hands on my shoulders and said, "What's wrong?"

I smiled. "Nothing now that you're here." I had decided right then and there to see if she liked me back. She blushed violently, and it made her look even more beautiful.

I wrapped my arms around her, and she leaned in close. And before I knew it, we were kissing. I had never kissed a girl so beautiful and delicate as Rose.

She pulled away first, blushing the darkest red I had ever seen. She doesn't like me. I thought rapidly, my heart contracting.

"I- I uh. I have to go." She said, finding her voice. I felt her hands go from my shoulders, and I watched her walk away in the wrong direction.

I found my voice too and yelled, "Rose! Your cabin is the other way." If it was possible for her to blush an even darker red, I think she did as she turned around, muttered "Thanks." to me, and ran to her cabin.