Chapter 51- Distractions Are Key

The first few seconds were awful. I tumbled through the darkness, this strange feeling filling me, like I was scattered in pieces across the country.

I saw a light, but it was far away, like I was seeing it from the other and of a tunnel. It got closer and closer by the second, and I started feeling like I was a puzzle being put back together.

Then, the light became door-shaped, and I tumbled through the opening.

*****

Light blinded me, at first, but once my eyes adjusted, I could see where I was.

Castor's hide-out.

I stood, my hands wet from touching the damp ground. It must have rained recently.

I looked around. I was about ten feet from a stone palace. I was at the edge if a forest, about where no one would be able to see me. I silently thanked May and Cameron for doing such a great job at transporting me, and for not making me involuntarily visit China.

I saw that there were two guards in black cloaks standing in front of a large stone gate. I watched them for a moment, but they just stood still, waiting for some threat that wouldn't come.

Well, until I walk over.

I tried to make a plan. I was all alone, in the woods, outnumbered by one guard, in front of a stone palace. Not exactly the best scenario.

I knew I could barely take one cloaked guy, so u needed to focus on distracting them so I could get in. I decided the best way to get in would be to electrocute them unconscious.

I know that sounds bad, but it's better than me killing them. I focused on my target, the skinny guard on the left, and pointed my hand at him.

I concentrated, calling only enough energy to knock him out. I let the energy go, and I watched as a flash of light hit the guard in the chest, and he fell to the ground.

I silently screamed YES! and watched the other guard look around in confusion, checking his friends pulse. "Who's there?" He yelled out into the open. I hide behind a tree, watching the guard come closer.

A flash of fear went through me. The guard would see me. I pulled out my sword and got ready. "Hey!" The guard yelled as I ducked behind another tree. I cursed under my breath.

"Hey! Girl! Put your hands up, your weapons down, and show yourself!" The guard yelled.

I slide my sword in my belt, stuck a dagger through my pony tail for safety, and put my hands in the air. I walked out from behind the tree.

"Who are you?" The guard asked. "As if I'll tell you." I snapped. The guards eyes widened. "Clearwater." He mumbled. "Doesn't anyone care to learn my first name?" I asked, buying my time.

Talking was a strategy I wasn't necessarily good at, but I had a little practice. Keep it short. Stall for a long time. Hit home. Live. Fight.

"Are you the one who killed my friend?" The guard asked. Weakness. I grasped at it. "Oh, he's not dead. I'm not that bad of a person! He's unconscious!" I waved my hand carelessly and smiled.

My heart was beating furiously fast. I took a deep breath, swallowed, and continued. "Now, I can kill him. And you. Or, you can help me." I threatened.

The guard laughed harshly. "You sound like him." My smile vanished. "Castor?" I asked. The guard nodded. "Why?" "Threatening to use your powerful magic to kill people." I stared at the ground.

"You realize, if I don't kill you, you'll kill me, right?" I asked. "Yeah. I realize that. Fight?" I laughed. "You know, I've come to find that some of you guys, Castor's followers, are actually not bad people. I was friends with one of you."

I sighed. "Chase? I heard he left with you. I knew Chase. He was a pretty vicious guy, until he met you. Rumor was, he had a major crush on, well, you." The guard said.

"Really?" I felt heat rush to my cheeks. "But, you have a boyfriend. That magician. What's his name... Jason? Jacob? Jack?" I shook my head. "Jackson." "Oh. Is he alive? I heard he was stabbed and was in a coma."

A smile played at my lips. "You people know how to gossip here, don't you? Yeah, he's alive." I felt a spark of hope. I could distract this guy easily. It was kind-of fun.

"Anything else you want to know, while I'm alive?" I mocked. The boy took the question seriously.

"Do you have electricity powers?" I nodded. "Did you fight Castor all wounded and stuff?" I laughed. "Yeah, I can show you my scar..."

I moved to pull my shirt up, but grabbed the boys arm instead. I pulled my dagger out of my hair and put it up to his throat. "I'm really sorry about this. You'll wake you sooner or later." I said.

The boy squirmed. "No- wait- don't kill me-" He stuttered. I called electricity to my hand again, and shocked him.

He slipped from my hands, and ended up unconscious on the ground. I stepped around him and headed for the stone palace.