Chapter 12-The Camp Fire

Rainy and I walked to the camp fire quickly. I was really excited, and I had said so to Rainy so many times I think she was starting to get annoyed.

When we got there I was semi-surprised that it looked like a regular camp fire that you would see anywhere.

There were chairs and logs and rocks gathered all around a big fire. Kids sat all around, some sitting on chairs and other make-shift things, and others sitting on the ground.

I saw Jackson sitting on a log with Tyson on the end, Bree on a plastic lawn chair next to Tyson, and Marisa and Michael were sitting on the ground a little ways away, obviously in a relationship.

I tugged Rainy over with me to sit with them. I sat on the log next to Jackson, and Rainy sat on the other edge next to me.

"Hey." I said to Jackson. I tried to pretend I wasn't scared to be near him after the kiss. I was worried it would be awkward, but he just smiled and went on talking with me.

He explained to me what normally happened at a camp fire here. He said normally the musical kids started songs and we all sang. Some kids did fun little shows with their powers. Also we might play small group games that the whole camp can participate in.

I was more and more excited the more Jackson and Rainy explained. A few minutes after we got there Mr. Blackwood appeared our of nowhere and sat in an extra-comfy looking lawn chair.

Some other trainers and teachers were scattered around, but Mr. B seemed to draw the most attention. "Hello, everyone!" He yelled over the lingering voices.

Everyone looked up to him. "Lets get the fun started, shall we?" Everyone cheered and clapped as a group of normal looking kids stood up.

There was a girl in the front and to boys in the back. One boy had a guitar, and the other was empty handed like the girl.

The girl started singing. The song was just a typical-sounding camp-song that made everyone sing. Jackson looked me in the eyes as he sang. I have to say, he wasn't half bad of a singer, not like, Maroon 5 good, but good.

He smiled at me as I got the hang of the songs and started to sing too. I was a really bad singer, but Jackson didn't seem to care.

After 3 songs, the group sat down as the campers cheered. Then, they had a bunch of kids pass out marshmallows and packs of gram crackers and chocolate got passed around in circles. We all made s'mores as Mr. Blackwood made some announcements.

"Sunday will be our monthly camp Capture-The-Flag game. You all will be divided fairly among the teams by our trainers who know your strengths." He said. "Also, on Tuesday we will be doing a cabin inspection day. If your cabin is not clean, you will have to do dinner clean-up for a week."

"Lastly, before we go on with the Friday Fun, next weekend, we are going to have a Fourth Of July Party. We want everyone to attended. It will be posted on all billboards by Monday, so please be ready. It will be from 5:00 when we'll have a special dinner, to midnight. You do not have to stay the whole time, but there will be fireworks and games."

"Alright, now I believe we have some talent shows to go on with. Let the fun continue!" He said over the still-talking crowd.

A few kids stood up and did cool things with magic. One really talented art-power-girl was showing how she cloud just tap things and they would change color.

There was a girl with water powers and a boy with fire powers doing a cool show together. And one girl with ice powers throwing snowballs at people on the hot night. And the last person was a boy with earth powers making flowers grow and bringing up rocks from the ground.

Soon it got very late though, so we ended with a game. We played, oddly enough, charades. They split us into 2 big teams and we played.

About half-way through I felt funny. When I was shouting out an answer for one act I felt a shock run up my arms. I looked down an screamed.

Jackson and Rainy both turned to me and asked me what was wrong. I held up my hands. There were multi-colored sparks coming from my finger tips.

Near by campers gasped as they saw the magic seeping from me. "Calm down, Rose. Panicking only makes it worse. Just please..." Jackson coaxed. "He's right, please Rose." Rainy said.

"I- I can't." I said, standing up. I held my hands up and backed away from my friends. The sparks grew stronger and soon my hands were covered in them.

Mr. Blackwood came walking over to me and put his hands out, trying to grab my shoulders and stop me. "Rose, stop moving it's okay." He said gently.

"No, stay away!" I yelled. I had jerked my hands when I said it and sparks flew from my hands and hit a poor boy in the arm. He yelped in pain as a healer ran over to him.

Mr. Blackwood came closer to me. I couldn't stop the sparks, the magic. It kept flowing out of me like water and it wouldn't stop.

Mr. Blackwood had reached me now, because I had stopped moving at the edge of the ring of campers.

He looked me in the eyes and said, "Rose, it's okay. Please calm down. You can make it stop, I know it's hard." Be seamed as if he wanted to continue, but my hand had sent a shock up his arm.

He didn't acknowledge it, just kept a steady grip on me. "Close your eyes, Rose. And just will it to stop. Think in your mind that you want it to stop, and it will."

I closed my eyes and tried to make it stop. It wouldn't. "I can't!" I screamed. I let go of Mr. Blackwood and accidentally hit a young girl in the leg with a set of orange and red sparks.

I turned and ran from the crowd as Mr. Blackwood reached for me again. I heard footsteps behind me as I ran, and figured it was Mr. Blackwood chasing after me.

I ran up a hill and sat down at the top, scared of what would happen to me. The footsteps behind me slowed and someone sat down next to me. I looked over and saw Jackson, not Mr. Blackwood.

"Rose, close your eyes." He said to me calmingly. I did as told. "Now, think of something calming. A beach maybe, or a pet. Something that makes you happy."

I thought of my family, and most of all, my dad. I thought of the only memories I had of him. I felt my hands relax. I willed the magic to stop. It took almost all of my energy to do it, but I did.

I heard Jackson sigh with relief when I did. I opened my eyes to see him smiling at me. "Now was that so hard?" He asked me, still smiling brightly. "You are the only reason I could do it." I said.