Chapter 31- The Worried Boy

The next two days went by in a blur of fighting, meals with Rainy and Jackson, and magic. Way to much magic.

On Tuesday night, Tanner made a point of keeping me in training late. I personally think he was just mad I knocked him off the platform 26 times and he only knocked me off 18.

"I have something new for you to try, and it's hard. Advanced magic. But, I think you can manage it. Just remember what I told you yesterday, to much magic at once can hurt you. And if you're not careful, it could kill you. Us magicians are all to human."

I nodded. "Now, I want you to get out a dagger. I'm going to give you a quick lesson on daggers. They are made to hold magic. They are very strong. So, if you wanted to really hurt someone, you could electrify the dagger, and throw it. It would do even more damage."

I stared. "But, that sounds fatal. Wherever I hit someone, it would kill them, wouldn't it?" "If the electrical current was strong enough, yes. If not, the worst it could do is knock them out. Now, give it a go."

I looked at the dagger in my hand. I summoned electricity to my hand, and watched the handle spark. My hand started to burn, and I screamed and dropped the dagger.

"Careful!" Tanner yelled, examining my hands. "I'm alright!" I said, as Tanner freaked. "If they knew I was the cause of you getting hurt I wouldn't live another day around here. Oh god, thank god you're okay." Tanner mumbled.

I blushed. "It's not that big of a deal! Im not that important, Tanner. And anyways, I'm fine." Tanner took a few deep breaths, then nodded. Id never seen him so unstable.

Then, I noticed a few other things I hadn't before. His hair, though usually cut short and in perfect condition, was a little to long for his taste and a little shaggy. He also looked tired. Just flat out exhausted.

"Tanner, are you okay?" The boy shook his head yes, but gradually started shake his head no. "I- I think you should go, Rose. I'll be okay. Just- just keep practicing that dagger trick." I nodded and headed for the door.

"And Rose?" Tanner said. I turned around and looked at him. "Please be careful." He said in a strangled voice. Then, he collapsed onto the couch and looked dead, though I knew he was just sleeping.