Chapter 38- The Last Day

The next day was the worst day of my life, and quite possibly my last. Early in the morning Chase came in with a tray that had my breakfast on it.

"Eat, it's your last breakfast. Ever." Chase said. I closed my eyes and counted to ten. I didn't want to punch him. I don't want to punch him!

I smiled at Chase mockingly, like I didn't care. He winked at me, then turned and left. I stared at the door, then down at my tray. Eggs, bacon, and toast. A cup of milk.

So simple.

I had thought I was going to get a cup if water and some bread. Michael Castor must have gone to great lengths to get his wonderful little prisoner breakfast.

Then, I noticed something. Under the plastic cup that had my milk in it, was a small white piece of paper. I picked it up.

It read: The words on this card will disappear every ten seconds.

I just barely had time to reread the sentence before the words disappeared and new ones took their place.

First: He wants to kill you himself.

Second: He's just going to stab you and let you die, I think

Third: He wants to take your magic when you only have a minute to live, so you can know he did it before you die

Forth: Taking magic is suppose to be mad painful, so he might do it before he kills you, but he's worried something will go wrong with you trying to escape.

Last: Eight o'clock tomorrow morning. -Chase

I took a shaky breath. As I saw it, I had three options. Option one: Let Castor kill me and take my magic. Option two: Convince Castor to take my magic and let me go. Option three: Escape.

*****

I had had a horrible night. Sleep wouldn't come until four in the morning. I had silently forgiven and asked for forgiveness from everyone I knew. I told my family I loved them. I told my friends I'd miss them.

I told Jackson I had never loved anyone as much as I'd loved him. I told Jackson how sorry I was for anything I'd ever said. I told him I'd never forget him.

At seven in the morning, Chase came and woke me up. He handed me clothes to put on and walked me to a bathroom.

I showered and brushed my hair and teeth. I put on the clothes Chase had given me. It was a plain gray shirt and black jeans. I took a deep breath as Chase walked me to a locked room.

"This is where I leave you. Be brave, Rose, and remember, don't show weakness. Just let him do whatever he wants to, and be done." The way he said 'just let him do what he wants to do' shocked me. He sounded gentle.

"Thanks, I guess. And, can you do me a favor? If you see Jackson, could you, you know, tell him I love him." I asked, looking at the floor. "Of course. Goodbye, Rose. Maybe I'll see you another time." He said, then he typed a code into the keypad and turned and left.