Chapter 48- Court

They had decided to kill him. They wanted to execute Chase. I was the only one left to deliver evidence. I had to be really good if Chase was going to live.

I had tossed ideas around in my mind. There had to be something that would convince the Council. Something that would hit home.

He saved my life. Well, that would only convince some. He doesn't work for Castor anymore. That definitely wouldn't work. He hasn't given Castor any information. No.

He knows where Castor's hideout is. Maybe... He knows Castor's plans. Getting better. He can help us. YES! All of them combined. It was all I had. Chase values his life, and he would do anything to keep it going.

He would help us.

*****

I hated the Council Room. It's beautifully carved walls reminded me of a museum I'd visited when I was little.

The hard-wood floors clicked! with every footstep. The tapestries on the walls depicted people that had been punished from being named guilty right in the court.

I didn't want them to make one of Chase being executed.

I stood in the center of the court, on a star that represented Camp Magic. The star was enchanted, so those who stood on it could only tell the truth.

I felt a pull on my heart, it was pulling me towards the truth. I wanted to spill all my secrets. To confess to all the lies I'd told in my life.

Stop. Enough. Focus. I took a deep breath.

"Rose Marie Clearwater." A man said, standing. I resisted the urge to strangle him for knowing my full name.

He looked like a a lawyer. He had brown hair with a lot of gray streaks, a gray beard, pale skin, and blue-gray eyes.

He was wearing a camp staff shirt under a black suit jacket with matching slacks. He had rectangular glasses that rested evenly on his large nose.

"You are here to present evidence against Chase Knight's crimes. You may present your evidence, and if the evidence overrules his crimes, his punishments will lessen, or be completely lifted." The man stated.

I nodded. "You may begin." I took a deep breath. I had to do this. I hoped I could do it right. "Sir, I'd like to start by asking what charges are being placed on Chase?" I asked as formally as I could.

"Murder. Assisting the enemy. Acting in the name of the enemy. Interfering with mortals. Interfering with other magicians. Using magic for inappropriate reasons." The man listed them all off like he didn't care.

That infuriated me.

The only problem was, all the charges on Chase were right. He'd commuted murder, assisted Castor, acted for Castor, messed with mortals and magicians, and used his powers for wrong-doing.

Those were bad crimes.

Chase stared at the bench. I cleared my throat. "Thank you. You see, through Chase may be guilty..." I glanced over at him. He was deathly pale and was staring right at me.

"You have to weigh his crime against his good-doings." Good-doings? What is that? Ugh. "And what would those be?" The man asked.

"He saved my life. He can give us the location of Castor's hideout. He can give us Castor's plans. He can help us know Castor's weaknesses. And a lot of other thing, too!" I said, my words jumbling together.

"I am hearing a lot of cans. Not dids. If this is all you have to present, I will be forced to order an execution." The man replied. I heard Chase inhale sharply.

I tried to give him a reassuring look, but I needed one myself. I didn't know what else to say. I was running out of time. I decided to do the one thing I hated to do most: let my heart do the talking.

To not think, just talk.

I let the pull of the charmed star guide me. Only the truth would do. I launched into a full-blown speech about Chase.

"Yes, he acted in the name of the enemy, but Castor had him blinded. He was on a leash he couldn't unclip. He thought Castor's ideas were great, because he didn't like ours."

"He was trying to do what he thought was right. But, halfway through, his priorities changed. He realized what he was doing was wrong. He realized he needed to do the right thing."

"He saved my life, when he decided what to do. He's here now, and he's been loyal to us since. So, I understand that he has committed crimes, but I think he has righted them. I think he deserves to live."

I took a deep breath, then looked around the room. Most of the comity members seemed shocked. Mr. Blackwood looked happy. I guess he liked what I had said. Mr. Lawyer, however, looked unimpressed.

"If that is all you have, then the accused shall be placed back in his cell. His execution is set for tomorrow!" Mr.Lawyer said, closing the journal he'd been writing in, stood, and left.

"No!" I screamed. Mr. Lawyer stopped. "What?" He spat. "You can't execute Chase! He doesn't deserve that!" I yelled. I grabbed Lawyer's journal and threw it across the room at the wall.

"You insulate little girl. Leave, or be charged too!" He yelled. "NO! Not until you drop Chase's charges! He did nothing wrong! And don't call me little girl!"

I was infuriated with this stupid man. Can you tell? "Rose!" I looked over at Jackson, sitting in his Council seat. I was making the cut-it-out motion with his hands.

I picked up the stupid notebook and handed it, well, threw it, at Lawyer Man, and turned to Chase. I gave him a sad look.

Chase stood, ducked his guard's hand, and walked over to me. "It's okay. I think you should let it go. You tried your best. That's all I could ask for." He said.

A tear rolled down my cheek. "Im so sorry." I whispered. "I know. It's okay." Chase said, hugging me. I got myself under control, and pushed away from Chase.

"Hey! Get over here, Knight! It's time to go back to your cell!" Called Chase's guard. "Peter calls. Go to go. Hey, I'll be fine." Chase said, lingering to give me a reassuring look and put him hand on my shoulder, then he dashed away.