Chapter 34- Modern Technoligy

"Are you okay, Rose?" Jackson asked. I nodded and looked around as we crossed the street. A car almost ran us over and I screamed.

"Shhhh! Screaming draws unwanted attention." Jackson hissed. "Can't they see us?" I asked, stunned at his words. Jackson shook his head slowly, then made a face.

"It's...... Complicated. They say 1 out of 3 mortals can see us, because 1 out of 3 people is bound to have a creative mind. Like, you see that group if three girls over there?" Jackson gestured to a group of girl that were no older than me. Probably 14 or 15 actually.

"That girl with the red hair can see us. I've seen that look before. She thinks either we're crazy, or she's crazy. Either one's probably true." I laughed. "I think the first ones more likely." Jackson laughed too.

I looked back at the girl. She had long red hair pulled into a side-braid, a tie-die shirt and jean shorts on, and white sneakers. She had chocolate brown eyes and smooth light skin.

She wasn't staring at me though, she was staring at Tanner. "I think she has a thing for Tanner. She should get his number. I'm sure he'd be happy to get out of little magic room more than once."

Jackson stared at me. "Was that a joke?" I looked up at him. "Yeah, why? You seem angry about it." Jackson shook his head. "I'm just not caught up on more modern terms. I only have an old cell phone for emergencies."

Jackson took one of those old sliding phones with the keyboard that opens on the left side. It was small and black.

I examined the phone, then handed it back to him. "Now that I have my phone, maybe I should be giving you a lesson on modern technology." I said, laughing.

Jackson laughed and took my hand. We walked for a while, then I heard the screaming.