Chapter 47- Just Hanging Out

I walked Jackson back to my cabin. I knew he shouldn't be out in the open right now, which was probably my fault, but I didn't focus on that.

Jackson stared at the ground, reliving his old, sad life.

I lead him inside my cabin and pushed him lightly into a blue chair. I pored him a glass of water and let him drink.

"You know, I've always hated water." He said, coughing a little. "It's like, my whole essence rejects it." He set the cup on the table. His eyes glowed dimmer.

I'd come to realize his eyes changed with his mood. If he was happy or excited, his eyes glowed neon orange, if he's sad, his eyes were a dim orange, mad, dark orange.

"Hey, I'm sorry. I was only wondering. I didn't mean to upset you." I touched his shoulder lightly. I didn't want to get to close if he didn't want it.

I may or may not have wanted to be close to him.

My prayers were answered. Jackson leaned in and kissed me, strong and steady. I kissed him back, leaning into him, letting him pull me close to him. Becoming part of him.

"I'm fine, Rose." He said to my mouth. "Love...you..." I said for the twenty-billionth time. Jackson pulled away. "What?" I asked him.

He looked at the floor. "I just- I want to protect you, but I can't if you're going to go off on you own and fight this battle. I want to be there with you."

I frowned. "I don't need protecting, Jackson. I'll be fine. It's only for a few minutes." I coaxed. I wished I believed it.

"Pwomise?" He asked, making a pouty face. I laughed. "Pwomise, Jackie." I said like I was talking to my little brother.

Jackson raised his eyebrows. "Jackie?" "No?" Jackson shook his head. I laughed. "Fine. Just Jackson? Jack?" Jackson gave me a disgusted look.

I burst out laughing, and ended up falling off my chair. Jackson laughed too, and on his way trying to help me up, he fell off his chair too, but it was obviously intentional.

I laughed and stared at the white ceiling of my cabin. "I wonder what life would be like, if, you know, we were normal teenagers." I said thoughtfully.

Jackson laughed. "You may have liked normal, but I think normal is overrated. Like this flipping white cabin of yours! I've got like, OCD when it comes to white. Dude, paint it, or something!"

I laughed. I sat up. "No thank you. I'm not an artist. Plus, I like the white."

"Forget about me moving in, then."

"Who asked you to move in?"

"No one. I would of, though."

"Shut up."

"Hey! I would be a great roommate!"

I raised my eyebrows at him. "You go with that." I mumbled. I felt eyes on me. I looked over and saw Jackson staring at me. He smirked.

"Why are you staring at me?" "Maybe I enjoy looking at your hair. By the way, I wanted to tell you, something in you has shifted. I can feel it. You radiate power. Electricity, obviously, but, it's strong. Any monster, or other magician should be able to sense it." He said.

I nodded. "I know. Tanner is a really good teacher, and I'm getting really good." Jackson's eyes hardened for only a second. "Yeah, Tanner is a really good teacher." He grumbled.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you today, and I didn't get the chance, why are you so... touchy, when it comes to Tanner, and Cameron, and other guys being around me?" I didn't plan on just asking that question, but it slipped out.

Jackson fidgeted. "I- I- Well, I just-" I stared. "You, what?" I stared at him. "I'm worried that you'll want to date Tanner. Okay? He's handsome, a he's a good fighter, and he's extraordinarily good at magic. He's kind."

I glared. "Seriously?" Jackson's eyes got wide. "Is this the part when you break up with me?" He asked, panicky. I shook my head. "As long as you don't worry about me dating another guy. Okay?"

Jackson nodded like a chastised little kid. "Hey, I love you." I said. "And I you." "Good. Now, trust me. It's the fun, risky part of love." Jackson frowned. "I've never been good at trust."

"Well, I'll teach you." I mumbled. Then, a wave of unexpected exhaustion took me over. "Wake me up when this whole stupid thing is over." Jackson nodded, and I drifted off.

*****

I understood what everyone meant when they said Castor was entering their dreams.

I dreamt that I was standing on top of Jackson and I's special hill. But, alone this time.

Camp Magic was destroyed, The Mansion in ruins, the cabins reduced to ruble. Bodies littered the ground.

Tanner laid at the bottom of the hill, his armor split right down the middle, his clothes tattered, a stab wound went right through his chest.

I let loose a sob.

Then, Rainy and Sky laid next to one another on the side of the hill. Each had tattered clothes and bloody cuts. Sky seemed to have several bloody cuts on her stomach, arms, and legs, and had bled to death.

Rainy's story was a little different. She still had a large gold sword stuck in her stomach. She moaned in pain. I wanted to help her, but I couldn't move.

Worst of all was Jackson. He lay laying right in front of me. His shirt was in shreds. His jeans had frayed at the edges. On leg had a nasty gash down the side of it.

He had a stab wound through his heart. His eyes were semi-closed. His hair was matted down with blood. He moaned, "Help, Rose."

He reached out for me, but I was to far away. I cried, trying to move, but I couldn't reach him. He moaned in pain. "I love you." He muttered, than his eyes closed, and he became motionless.

Only then was I able to move.

*****

I woke with a start.

I shot upward and almost banged my head on the table. I saw Jackson lying motionless next to me, and my heart skipped a beat.

I was about to try and wake him up, when I remembered everything. I fell asleep on the floor, and had a bad dream. Jackson must have fallen asleep too.

I took a deep breath. Everything's okay, I assured myself. Jackson moaned quietly in his sleep. His eyes opened slowly, and he smiled when he saw me.

"Morning?" He asked. I checked my phone. "1:30." Jackson laughed. "Ah, well, we earned it, right? I, we, have been through a lot. We're gonna use that for an excuse, okay?" I laughed.

I never slept in that late. I guess it was backlash from sleeping for two hours a night for a month. I stood and looked around. I felt... weird, and I didn't know why.

The dream, I thought.

I looked down at Jackson, who had stood up and was searching my kitchen for food. Not surprising.

"I think Castor got into my dreams last night." I said uncertainly. Jackson turned, a spoon still in his mouth from eating cereal. "What?" He asked, his mouth full.

"I had a nightmare. The camp was destroyed. Everyone but me was dead. I couldn't move to help anyone, even you." I said, reliving it all. Jackson paled.

Ever since his accident on my birthday, the thought of death seemed to scare him even more so than usual. I felt the same way. I didn't want to die, to leave my family, my friends. The thought terrified me.

"We should tell Mr. Blackwood about the dream. But, after breakfast." He said. I laughed. "More like late lunch."

I decided to eat anyway.