Chapter 46- The Contraptions

After two days, I was called to the science lab. So, early Monday morning, I woke up and got dressed in my training clothes (the science geeks had requested) and left alone.

I didn't want to wake Rainy, and I had an itching feeling that Jackson would be there. I hiked up to the science lab proud and tall, or so I hoped.

I was actually terrified of this whole thing. I didn't want to face Castor again unless he was lying on the ground dieing, and I could kill him. I didn't want to have to get close to Castor again. He is the only person that has ever actually scared me.

I stood as the automatic doors opened on the science lab, and walked in. The room was empty except for Cameron and May, who I expected to be there, a few other scientists, Tanner, Jackson, and, surprisingly, Chase.

Chase beamed at me. I gave him a questioning look. He held up his wrist to show me he had a bright red band around it. "Tracker." He mouthed. I nodded.

"Rose." Jackson said, smiling. I ran over and hugged him. "It'll be okay." He whispered in my ear, just loud enough for me to hear. "Hey, Lovebirds, break it up." Chase said behind me.

I laughed and kissed Jackson mockingly. He pulled away, smiling, but bright red, as I laughed and turned away.

"Alright. What did you guys want?" I asked, majorly to Cameron and May. "Well, we've kind-of whipped up a little invention for you."

Cameron held up a wire, with two blocks, probably cameras, on two sides. "It wraps around you weapons belt. These blocks are cameras with motion sensors and full sound. The wire is enchanted to always run."

I felt a pull to the device. I realized it was because it radiated electricity. I reached for it, but Cameron moved his hand. "You'll brake it." He said like a child protecting his favorite toy.

May shook her head. "Cam, calm down." She took the device from his hand and handed it to me. "She's the one who's going to wear it, after all." Cameron whimpered, but didn't protest.

I realized, disturbingly, it was the exact same size as my waist. I touched the wires. I felt the flowing electricity underneath my palms.

"You can feel the electricity, can't you? I can sense the magic in it, like you." Tanner said, making me look up. I nodded.

I heard a muffled sound behind me. Jackson had looked away. When he turned back, anger flared in his eyes, but there was something else, too.

Jealousy.

I handed the contraption back to Cameron, and let him fit it to my waist. Jackson watched with a certain envy in his eyes as Cameron touched my waist and fitted the belt.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked quietly. The anger in Jackson's eyes subsided, but only for a moment. He covered it with a nod and a smile.

"Done." Cameron said, standing. The belt fit perfectly. "I forgot to tell you to bring your weapons belt. Oh well, it fits a little big, so it should work." Cameron said, studying me.

"So, what is the whole plan?" I asked. I realized no one had to me. "Well, it's a little more complicated. That's where I come in." Tanner said.

"Well, how 'bout you tell me it anyway." I said. Tanner walked around the table he'd been sitting on, and stood by Cameron.

"We, meaning Cameron, May, and I, have been tinkering with some new tools we got, and figured out how to use the teleportation device Castor used the first time he contacted us." Tanner said proudly.

"What did you do to make it work?"

"Just a little magic."

"Obviously."

Tanner laughed. "Anyway, Miss Distraction, we plan to send you through, then, after watching your footage, we'll send other through to fight. It's about half as simple as it sounds."

"Of course." "You have to outwit Castor, alone." Tanner said. I shuddered. "Simple." I muttered. Jackson put his hand on my shoulder.

"It'll be okay. You're stronger than anyone I know." He said. He'd pulled me into a hug. "I love you." I whispered so only he could hear. I felt Jackson smile into my hair.

"I love you too."

*****

For the rest of the day, I stayed in the science lab, getting fitted for other cameras and motion detectors.

Jackson held my hand until Cameron insisted he needed to put a tracker bracelet on. After, like, four hours, I finally left for dinner. I sat with Jackson, alone.

I love him. I'm so lucky to have him. I thought. I watched him eat, watched his orange eyes, his steady hands. How long had those hands held a sword? I realized I'd never asked him about his past.

"So, I guess this is as good a time as any to ask you about your old life?" Jackson stopped dead. "What?" I smiled. "Your past. Tell me about it."

Jackson put his fork down. It still had a piece of steak on the end. "My-my past? I don't know, Rose. I'm not sure I feel comfortable-" I cut him off.

"Just tell me, Jackson. You are in a judge-free environment." I said in the best imitation of my old guidance councilor, Mr. Dibs. Jackson tilted his head in confusion.

"Just tell me about yourself!" I yelled, laughing. Jackson shifted uncomfortably.

"Well, it's- it's kind of hard to talk about. I lived in a small, beat-up department with my mom, my dad, and my older brother, Caleb. We were all magicians. Me, my dad, and my brother had fire powers, my mom had enchantment."

"I wasn't old enough to be recruited into camp, and my brother, well, he should of been at camp, but he insisted on staying for my family. He would be alive now if he hadn't."

Jackson stared at the table. "You see, one night, when I was eight, some old followers of Castor attacked my apartment. They'd been attacking a lot of magicians families, that's why my brother didn't go to camp."

"So, Castor's old followers attacked us, they killed my mom first, an-and then my dad fought him, and he died too. Then- then my brother h-he, well, he had to protect me. He was only 14. The old followers found us, and they- and they-" Jackson stopped.

I hugged him. "And they killed your brother?" I asked. Jackson nodded. "Camp sent a few guys to help us, but they were to late to save my family. I was cowering under a table, crying."

"I should have helped my family, or done something- it's all my fault." Jackson said. I felt him shake. I had never seen Jackson cry before. "Let's go back to my cabin." I whispered in his ear.