Chapter 13- Early Mornings

Me and Jackson had laid down and looked at the stars last night after my...catastrophe... got worked out.

Now it was really early in the morning, and I woke up on the ground at the top of the hill. I turned over and saw Jackson next to me, still sound asleep.

I remembered him expertly pointing out constellations to me, smiling as he recalled memories and told me stories. I had never felt so happy since my had dad died.

Now I sat up slightly and tapped Jackson's shoulder. He moaned and rolled over. I crawled around to the other side of him and shoved his shoulder playfully.

This time he woke up. "Wha ime is it? He mumbled to me. "It seems to be, like, 6 o'clock. I can only tell you it's early in the morning."

He sat up and looked at the sky. "It's 6 o'clock. You're right. Come on now, let's get you back to your cabin, you've got a big day today."

"What do I have to do today?" I asked, suddenly worried and slightly excited.

"Well, you need to get some weapons and start training." He answered, still sounding half asleep.

"Okay, can I meet you at breakfast?" I asked him. He smiled. "Nonsense. I'll stop by your cabin at 8:30 okay?" I nodded and we split up to walk back to our cabins.

*****

I got back to my cabin and and took a long shower. I brushed through my hair thoroughly and tied it back into a braid, it was hot out and I didn't want it all down my back.

I brushed my teeth and splashed water on my face. I went into the bedroom and looked through the trunk I had taken to find an outfit.

I pulled out a purple t-shirt and gray shorts. I slipped my Nike sneakers on and looked over myself in the mirror. I looked so casual and normal. It was shocking.

I laughed. Shocking. I remembered what Jackson had said about electricity as a power. How it was uncontrollable and hard to predict.

I was worried what would happen if my powers got out of control again. At first people had known my name, but now people know that the Clearwater girl has electricity powers and is a total emotional mess when it comes to them.

I figured I looked like a freak, a weirdo, someone dangerous.

I sat around and waited for Jackson to come. At 8:33 he arrived. He knocked on the door once, twice, three times before I opened it.

He smiled when he saw me. He had a tight gray shirt on and soft black pants. The lack of color set off his orange eyes like you couldn't even imagine. When he smiled his white teeth stood out like diamonds.

"Hi." Was all I said. "Hi. Shall we go?" He asked, sounding very formal. "Sure." I said, sounding lame. He held out his arm and we walked up to the picnic tables together.

We got plates and ate together at an empty table. About halfway through breakfast, Rainy appeared and lifted an eyebrow at me. I mouthed that she could come sit down with us when Jackson had his head down.

She came and sat next to me, and not soon after her, Tyson appeared and sat next to Jackson.

"Hey, man. You didn't come back to the cabin last ni-" Jackson slapped him on the arm. "Sorry." He said quietly.

Tyson and Jackson got up to throw away their trash. Rainy turned to me. "So, Jackson didn't go home last night? You wanna tell me about that? The last time I saw him, he was running after you."

I felt my cheeks get red. "Well he- we didn't- ugh! It's not like that. We fell asleep on the hill after Jackson, um, helped me." "Ohhh. So it was just sleep?"

My eyes got wide. "Yes it was just sleep! You're awful!" Rainy laughed. "So, what are you doing today? I assume Jackson has become your official Camp Counselor?"

I laughed. "Yeah, I guess. I need a sword and stuff. Then I'm gonna start training, I think." Rainy frowned slightly. "Then you're gonna have to do this." She held out her left hand and showed me her tattoo. It was intricate blue swirls in the shape of a diamond.

"Crap. I really hate how that sounds." Rainy gave me a sort-of pity look.

Jackson came back a few minutes later without Tyson. "Tyson needed to go. He has battle training in a few minutes. Rose, we should go." I smiled. "Bye, Rainy. I'll see you later. Lets go." I said, looking at Rainy and then Jackson.

I got up then, and followed Jackson down the hill.