Chapter 58- The Final Fight

Jackson lead us through a maze of hallways. "Which door was it?" Jackson asked Tanner. "The one hundred and forty fifth one." He replied absentmindedly.

Jackson counted doorknobs in a strange pattern. "One hundred. One hundred two. One hundred one. One hundred three. One hundred five. One hundred six." This went on for two more hallways until Jackson slowed in front of a group of doors. "One hundred forty. One hundred forty-two. Ah, here we are, one forty-five."

Jackson turned around to face us. "This is a weapons room, for your information. Sorry if you thought it was something else. We're all weaponless, so I thought it would help." He said. "Did you just apologize?" Rainy asked with mock surprise. Jackson rolled his eyes and opened the door.

Inside was another weapons room like the one I'd been in before. The walls had swords and daggers and hundreds of other weapons mounted on them. "I really just wish I had my stuff back..." I mumbled. "Does that include your magic?" Jackson asked, grabbing a silver dagger off the wall next to me.

"Of course." I said, pulling the only electricity dagger off the wall. I pulled a sword similar to mine off the wall, then turned back to Jackson. "Why won't you tell me how you got here?" I asked, lowering my voice. "I'll tell you once we get back to camp." Jackson said, his voice guarded.

"Fine. Just keep secrets from your girlfriend." I said, pulling two random daggers off the wall. I pulled another off and stuck it through my ponytail. "No, you don't understand-" Jackson started, his eyes wide. "No need to explain. Not here. Not now. I'm not mad at you." I said, and I meant it.

Jackson exhaled sharply. His shoulders, though tense, seemed to relax, if only slightly. He pulled two fire daggers off the wall and slipped them into his belt. "Is everyone ready?" He asked. "Yeah." Rainy said, looking around. "We're ready."

"Now where to?" Sky asked. "To the two hundred and fifty sixth door." Tanner said. "Onwards and upwards." Jackson said, leading the way.

*****

"Two hundred fifty-five... Ah, here we are." Jackson said, stopping at a seemingly random door. "This should be it. Now, inside this door, supposedly, is Castor's private room. He should be in here." Jackson said. "Should be? No he will be?" Rainy snapped.

Jackson ignored her and opened the door. "What is it now?" Castor's voice asked from behind the door. "It's just that, your prisoners have escaped, sir." Jackson said, his voice soft. "What? How?" "Unknown, sir. But they're right here." Jackson said.

"Wha-" Castor started, but Jackson jumped out from behind the doorway, tackled Castor, and put his arm to his throat. I pulled out my sword and pointed it at Castor. "Sir, you seem to be in trouble, sir." I said, laying the tip of my sword over Castor's heart.
Jackson moved for me, but he still had Castor on the ground. I brought my sword up and cut Castor's cheek. "That was for Chase, who didn't deserve to die." I said. Castor sneered.

"Chase." He spat, like the name tasted bitter. "He was a traitor, and a coward. He didn't deserve to live." Anger welled up inside me. "Don't you dare talk about Chase like that. Now, the matter of my magic, if I kill you, will I get it back?" I asked. "Yes, but only if you ask for it." Tanner answered behind me.

"In other words, it's your choice if you want it back." He said. "Okay. Get ready then, guys-" I started, but Castor cut me off. "I'm not going to let you kill me, little Clearwater. I'm going to kill you, though." He said.

"Why don't we fight? One winner, the other dies. If I die, you get your magic back and me dead, and if you die, I get to continue my plans, take your magic, and destroy all of the magicians who get in the way of my ruling. Sound fair?" Castor asked.

"No. You have three kinds of magic in you, and I have none." I said. "Then you may let your friend, Tanner, is it? Help you. He will be your magic while you fight." Castor said.

"Deal. Tanner?" I turned to him. "Let's go." He said, shaking out his hands. "Watch him for me. If he make a move I don't see, can you cover me? You're good at that sort of thing." I whispered. He nodded.

Do you trust this guy? Rang through my head. Of course! Jackson trusts him! Katrina trusts him! Why shouldn't I? I asked myself. I decided I had to trust him. He was my only hope at beating Castor.

"Call it, Jackson." I said. Jackson took a shaky breath, mouthed I love you to me, then said "Go!"

Castor moved first, slashing out at me with his sword. I just barely blocked the hit as Tanner shot a beam of light at Castor. Castor dodged it, but became distracted. I took advantage and slashed down his arm.

Castor cried out and lunged at me, but Tanner blinded him with white light. "Ugh, stupid boy. Have you not told them the nature of your condition? Why don't you just let me kill you now?" Castor asked.

I turned to Tanner, loosing my concentration. While I was distracted, Castor shot a beam of electricity at me. I doubled over and fell to the ground. Tanner fought Castor by himself, but he was slowing down.

I felt the electricity crackle though my veins, familiar to me, but alien to my body. I stood, still in pain, and turned to Castor. I slashed out at him, trying desperately to knock his sword away.

Then, I lashed out at Castor, and Tanner shot a beam of red light at Castor's sword arm. Castor cried out and dropped his sword as I cut his arm. I kicked Castor's leg and Tanner pushed him down.

I placed my knee on Castor's chest, put my sword to his throat, and smiled. "Now, it's game over." I said, pressing my sword tip down.