Eli & Aeryn: Thirty Nine

It's a bit weird to be posting a Christmas chapter in June, but the weather in Britain right now is reminiscent of our average Christmas [it's pissing it down with rain], so I guess it fits.

___________________________________________________________

E: *tap*

A: "..."

E: *tap* "Aeryn!"

A: "..."

E: *tap* "Aeryn! Wake up!"

A: "...what?"

E: "Aeryn! I'm outside, It's Christmas morning and I can't believe you are still asleep!"

A: "...I - what? How did you even get here?"

E: "Mum gave me a lift."

A: "Eli, it's five am."

E: "I am aware."

A: "What is it with you and turning up at my house at ludicrous hours?"

E: "It's Christmas, you turnip!"

A: "Turnip?"

E: "Just hurry up and get down here. And bring the present you have for me, too. We can exchange gifts."

A: "You're assuming I have one for you."

E: "If you don't, your title of 'Eli's best friend' is on the line."

A: "Oh, that sounds like such a pity."

E: "Think I'll revoke it right now, actually..."

A: "Okay, I'm coming down, hang on!"

E: "..."

A: "..."

E; "Nice slippers, little duckling."

A: "Shut up."

E: "They even quack, how quaint."

A: "Shut up."

E: "I'm going to give you your present now."

A: "I am delighted."

E: "Sarcasm is illegal at Christmas."

A: "So sue me."

E: *sigh* "Okay, I spent a while making this for you, I really hope you like it."

A: "I'm sure I will."

E: "Good."

A: "..."

E: "..."

A: "You wanna give it to me?"

E: "Oh! Yeah, here!"

A: "...it's a photo album."

E: "Yeah. I thought it would be nice to have a documentation of our friendship. These are photos from a few days after we met all the way up to now."

A: "Oh yeah, I remember that first one. Three days after we met you shoved a camera in my face. I look so angry!"

E: "Yeah, that's possibly one of my favourites."

A: "How come you started all the way back then?"

E: "I thought we were going to become friends, so I thought I might as well start early so I didn't miss anything."

A: "You knew we'd be friends back then despite how I acted?"

E: "Well, I assumed. No one can resist my powers."

A: "Yeah, right."

E: "Well, do you like it? I guess it's a pretty rubbish idea for a Christmas present, but I thought later we could go somewhere together, maybe to the tree house and spend some time together."

A: "The album is perfect. And that would be great!"

E: "Now it's time for my present!"

A: "...you're really not going to like what I got."

E: "Why not?"

A: "You know a while ago on my birthday you got us those pinky finger necklaces?"

E: "Yeah, I'm wearing mine now."

A: "So am I. Well, I - um, kind of went along with that theme and got us these."

E: "Oh!"

A: "Here."

E: "...they're promise rings!"

A: "Yeah, sorry, I mean, well, I thought it would be nice but I've never seen you wear rings so I don't know if you'll even want to wear it!"

E: "I love it, I will put it on and never take it off again!"

A: "You are so dramatic!"

E: "So, what's the promise?"

A: "For the ring?"

E: "Yeah?"

A: "The promise is that we'll always be here for each other. The promise is we'll be friends until we possibly reach a point where neither of us want it anymore, but I can't see that happening. The promise is that you have me, and I have you, and nothing can ever change that."

E: "That's - that's deep."

A: "Pinky promise me?"

E: "Pinky promise. You have me."