Thank God For Hometowns

I woke up not by the sunshine beaming through the blinds but by the sound of Mom singing, probably while cooking breakfast. A huge smile crept upon my face. I missed this. I thought to myself.

I quickly got up and took a shower. I put on some sweats and a tee. Curled my hair and put on a very light make-up. That took about an hour. Before going out, I checked on my phone... 3 missed calls and 2 messages from Psalm and none from Brad. sigh. Not that i'm expecting him to text or call me.. i just, okay,i'm kinda hoping that he would at least text me once.

I deleted the messages from Psalm without even reading it, i'm not interested, it would probably be just one of those corny good-morning-messages he sends me.. I set my phone down and headed to the kitchen finding Mom and Dad almost done with their brekky. Dad, as usual, with his newspaper and a mug of coffee.

"Morning!" I greeted  then kissing them both on the cheeks. Dad slightly leveled down his newspaper and smiled "Morning." he says.

"Morning to you too.." Mama replies. "After you eat, we'll go grocery shopping." She says whilst setting hers and Dad's plates down on the kitchen sink. I nodded, chewing on my food.

Strolling through the alley of the vegetable section with the big cart, picking delicious veggies that can be my dinner later, someone approached me.

"Carrie?" She asked.

"Mrs. Johnson! Hi!" I greeted hugging her abandoning the broccoli in my left hand.

"How are you?" she asked squeezing my shoulders as we both pulled out of the hug.

"i'm great! i'm actually gonna stay here for a couple of days before going back to work again." I answered.

"There's no place like home, eh?" she says chuckling.

"true that." I said smiling.

"well, I got to go.. tell Carole I said Hi." She says pushing her cart opposite of my direction.

"will do." i respond, picking up again the broccoli that i abandoned earlier, placing it in the cart beside some other veggies.

"You almost done?" Mama says popping behind me, scaring me a little.

"yeah, what about you?" I respond.

"i'm done, just waiting for you so we could already lay these at the counter." She says

"oh.. by the way, Mrs. Johnson said to tell hi."

It's already 6pm still no message from Brad. and yes, i'm still waiting, laying here on my bed facing the ceiling with glow in the dark moon and stars stickers.

Brad, are you busy? I typed on my phone, should I send it? it's not like i'm sounding really needy and desperate right? i'm just asking if he's busy.

I pressed send, nervous if he's gonna reply or not. Not too long 'til I received a phone call.

"Oh gosh, Brad?!"

"This is Psalm, not Brad." He says.

"oh.." was all I muttered. "what's up?" I asked my voice a little faint.

"not much.. I just wanna hear your voice." he answers as corny as crap.

"oh, sorry.. but i'm actually busy right now..so if you don't mind maybe calling me later, i'll just text you when.."

"oh sure. sorry to disturb." he responds with a soft tone. Now I feel guilty.

"thanks and no problem. Bye." I hung up. I wouldn't text him, of course. I really don't like him, you know, he's a great guy and anyone would be lucky to have him but that's not me. NOT ME.

Thankful that Checotah is my hometown. The place where I can go shopping wearing only sweats and won't be judged by any. Where I won't be followed by stupid paparazzis who does nothing but take pictures of you and sell them to dumdums who would make a load of crap about you. This is a place where I can have a peace of mind. Where i'm surrounded by lovable people who knows me for who I am and not Carrie the Country singer. This is where I can be myself. This is where I always wanna be. because here, I can think things through. And i've decided that i'm gonna call Brad and that is final.

I dialed Brad's number... *ring *ring *ring and he picks up..

"Care?" He says. ah i missed hearing his voice. "Care?" He says again.